[iDC] One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 8 09:18:03 UTC 2008

Dear all,

it's been an interesting OLPC thread so far.

I have been following the http://www/olpcnews.com site on a daily basis
since a long time and I have to say that the OLPC project is unique in
that draws the (radical) critique of ICTs deep inside a technology
management venture. This rarely happens, at least as visible as it is
in this case. There have been so many interesting clashes over its
design, the electricity and power supply question, the keyboard and
screen, the software and OS (obvious) and indeed, the edu content.
Controversies are always invisible and the PR-New Age strategies of
most US-American IT firms, with their happy CEO guru cult, is most
effective in keep debate away from the development stage, thereby
downgrading criticism to the level of consumer-user-end luser level.

Since 2001 I have been involved in setting up lists and debates and
even a conference of critical ICT for developments researchers and
activists. If you are interested, please have a look at

http://www.incommunicado.info

I have copy-pasted a great posting of Steve Cisler to the Incommunicado
list below. It is great to see that OLPC is now being discussed so
widely, also outside of the ICT for Development community.

However, for those who have been around a bit longer, a lot that we
hear, in particular in the mainstream media, is a repeat of earlier
debates.

It is for instance good to remind ourselves of the earlier, much
smaller attempt with the Indian Simputer, to design a cheap computer
for educational purposes that would run on floss and would be outside
of the control of Microsoft.

Greetings from Amsterdam.

Geert

---