[iDC] One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Sun Jan 13 13:26:19 UTC 2008

Brad Borevitz wrote:
> it may be worth comparing this initiative to another big price breakthrough
> in the news: the $2500 car. the consequences of this development are
> potentially huge: culturally, environmentally, etc.

Makes US wonder why we pay 10x as much for a car (with interest probably
15x) without getting - as far as I can tell - 10x more car.

On the OLPC discussion, there is a lot of press lately:

"One Laptop Per Child Project Extends to American Students"
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141298-c,notebooks/article.html
I would be interested to hear how "the third reason" for this
(ad)venture would be implemented.
Maybe one could have a "global mesh" for people who are on the more
ubiquitous Internet with their device and don't need the "village mesh".
Very interesting social networking problem.

"SimCity Source Code Is Now Open" so a version will make it onto the
OLPC soon (a stated goal):
    http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/08/01/12/1846256.shtml
Personally I love these kind of games, so does my son. But is it
appropriate teaching material?

"Intel Employee Caught Running OLPC News Site" is a nice one too:
    http://www.siliconvalleysleuth.com/2007/01/olpc_blog_draws.html
I guess one can't put much trust in "the blog" because it is just too
easy to publish.

--AS