[iDC] [Criticality] Social Ethics, Social Aesthetics, Social Beauty

Eric Steen ericmsteen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 00:24:58 UTC 2008

Responding to: "Failure & reflection - Is it just me or do social art
projects seem to have lots more failure involved than other art projects?"

I may have missed something but I don't think I understand exactly what
"failure" means in the context Kanarinka's post. As Sal suggests a defining
of failure is important. It seems to me there are a couple different types
of social projects. The more political ones attempt to present information
and cause "participants" to reexamine their own social or political
positions. In these the artist is often times hoping that a certain outcome
will be attained and if it doesn't this could be a failure. Other projects,
and I personally consider these the better projects, are more of a
facilitation where participants become more than just something that is
decentered (they are not objectified), instead these participants take on
the responsibility of either carrying or not carrying the load given to them
originally by the artist. In this way the artist gives up all hope of any
set outcome and allows participants to sculpt the outcome according to their
particular, or local needs or desires. In this sense failure for the artist
would consist of bad moderating and facilitation of an event. There is more
to say on this but for now that is all I will say.

--
ericmsteen.blogspot.com