[iDC] MLK Day post

Mark Marino markcmarino at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 18:01:18 UTC 2008

Quick note,
Michael Wesch has just posted a response to my video on his blog:
http://mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/?p=133

In it, he writes:

As pointed out by
Mark<http://writerresponsetheory.org/wordpress/2008/01/20/a-revision-of-students-today-remixing-wesch/>,
> the "vision" our video hoped to portray was more limited than our title
> suggests.

We tried to include pointers to these limitations by including the
> statistics about inequality and the digital divide within our original
> video.
>
> In the spirit of Mark's critique, I thought I would share with you a scene
> that did not make the final cut - not because it wasn't worth showing - but
> because it was so important that it overshadowed some of the other issues we
> were trying to raise.
>
> On the day of filming, several students had ideas emerge right on the
> spot. Whenever they had an idea they would write it down on a piece of paper
> and hold it up for the camera. While we were reflecting on the size of the
> room and the anonymity this creates among students, one student held up the
> following sign:

[The Caucasian-looking student holds up a sign that says, "I am more than
just a face..."]

This was immediately followed by this:

[An African-American-looking student holds up a sign that says, "There is
more to me than just MY RACE!"]

I can understand why Wesch feels that this last message might "overshadow"
his video, but in some ways, I feel like it the scene overshadows the video
even more in its exclusion.  The cut-scene certainly shows that there was a
conscious decision about whether or not to make "race" an explicit issue in
the video.  However, it's notable that race becomes an explicit issue only
when one of the few (only?) African Americans in class points it out.

This might be one of the few examples of "you tube" deleted scenes having so
much impact on a film.

I hate to drag the film into the very topic Wesch was trying to avoid (or
really, preempt, since he said the topic of race deserved a video of its
own)-- but again, perhaps moments like these remind us that our discussions
of technology in society are never (and cannot be) just about the
technology.

Mark