[iDC] Social Ethics, Social Aesthetics, Social Beauty

Sal Randolph salrandolph at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 17:45:44 UTC 2008

Hi Katie, everyone,

Yes, Hideous Beast's reenactments/peer reviews are a great thing to
bring up -- I hope they will be collecting some of their results and
putting them online soon.  I do remember there was quite a lot of
tension at their talk!

It makes me think also of the recent spate of performance art
reenactments - Marina Abromovic's Seven Easy Pieces ( http://
www.seveneasypieces.com/ ), the very carefully researched "re-doing"
of Alan Kaprow's 18 Happenings in 6 Acts (there's a great description
here http://www.lucazoid.com/bilateral/18-happenings-in-6-parts/  ),
and Eva and Franco Mattes' translation of classic performance artwoks
into Second Life ( http://0100101110101101.org/home/performances/
index.html or see on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=C8aTHkjaOF8 ).  Even though this other group of reenactments
weren't explicitly critical in nature, they did allow for some
critical thinking about both the original pieces and their remakes.

As Judith Rodenbeck mentioned in her wonderful (idc sponsored) talk
(if you haven't heard it, seriously do give the mp3 a listen: http://
distributedcreativity.typepad.com/idc_events/2006/01/
the_open_work_p.html ), some of the most influential works of the 60s
included (even courted?) boredom, discomfort, and danger.  In this
context, I actually think "boredom" is the most intriguing.  A number
of audience members for all these reenactments have expressed
feelings of boredom, at the same time they found the project
themselves (original and reenacted) "interesting."  It makes me think
of John Cage's remarks on boredom: "‘If something is boring after two
minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen.
Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all."

I remember sitting in the audience at the Kaprow reenactment, looking
around at who was there and thinking to myself "wow, the original
audience for these pieces must have been so much more interesting
than this" - I imagined a bunch of crazy 60s bohemians and hippy
artists, I guess.  I just assumed that there was some kind of live
electricity in the original that I was missing out on.  But actually,
when I looked at the historical photographs, the audience was just as
formal, polite, and art-worldy middle-class as the one I had been
sitting in.  I if you had mixed up a stack of black and white
snapshots from both events, I think you would have been hard pressed
to pick out the ones from the present.  It was as if they had managed
to reenact both the piece and the social circumstances which
surrounded it.  Or to put it differently, I had assumed Kaprow
happenings were about the most exciting things I had ever missed out
on, and now I see that they were perhaps a bit boring, but in an
interesting way.

Maybe as the idea of "newness" loses value, as we are less enraptured
by the romance of an avant-garde as a group of artists way out in
front of everyone else, one of the things we can do in the current
more egalitarian plurality is spend a bit more time on critical re-
making.  Scientists do this all the time, and very productively.

-- Sal

Sal Randolph
salrandolph at gmail.com
http://salrandolph.com