[iDC] One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Tue Jan 29 15:06:17 UTC 2008

pris at solidariti.com wrote:
> For me the highlight from your post is that sometimes people like to think they
> have all the answers and so they come up with these high-tech "solutions"
> without first fully engaging the people they are trying to help.

Another story to follow would be the Philipines right now. In the
not-quite-1st-world-yet countries, simple economics are sometimes the
key as you can read here:

"23,000 Linux PCs forge education revolution in Philippines"
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1163450117;pp;1

...  When asked why the popular One Laptop Per Child, which ships with
Linux, was not used instead, Gonzalez said at the time it was not
feasible due to the sheer number of units that needed to be purchased
all at once. ...

--AS