[iDC] Chronicle on trust-building networks

Jon Ippolito jippolito at umit.maine.edu
Thu Jun 12 20:33:23 UTC 2008

Trebor Scholz first drew attention to the problem of academic criteria for new media academics in a conversation with Joline Blais and me in 2005:

http://distributedcreativity.typepad.com/new_media_education/2004/12/323_guest_speak.html

Pat Kane wrote:
>the participatory structure of the web was founded by a singular mix of values ("the academic, the hippie, the peasant, and the geek")
Now it looks like the first and last of these constituencies are finally converging, if this recent article from the Chronicle of Higher Education is any indication. Projects featured include The Pool (http://pool.newmedia.umaine.edu/) and
ThoughtMesh (http://thoughtmesh.net/). Both are open for public participation; email me if you need any help getting started.

Apologies for cross-posting--

jon

New-Media Scholars' Place in 'the Pool' Could Lead to Tenure
http://chronicle.com/free/v54/i38/38a01001.htm