[iDC] if AI were a reality, which, currently, it is not

subbies at redheadedstepchild.org subbies at redheadedstepchild.org
Mon Mar 17 18:25:27 UTC 2008

We aren't at the point where they can be replaced outright.  They are a
temporary solution, in light of the fact that computers cannot yet
understand what they read.  Truthfully, I don't believe there is a decent
solution that can exist short of this event happening.  All solutions
will be kludges as long as we use stupid computers to display and
manipulate our data.  But, here are at least a few things I think that
need to happen before this occurs (obviously, not a complete list):

1) Computers need to be capable of contradicting themselves.  To steal is
wrong.  To allow someone to die is wrong.  What to do if the only way to
save someone is to steal?  Which is less wrong?  Are there still other
factors that can change the answer?  Computers must be able to make such
calculations.

2) Computers - and PEOPLE - need to recognize that there is not a single
entity called "truth."  There are multiple solutions that appear to work
for any given problem.  This doesn't mean that there aren't certain
solutions that are more useful than others, insofar as
testing/implementing them consistently exhibit positive results, make
progress, match what is expected, etc.  Nonetheless, when our knowledge
base and set of assumptions changes down the road, we will discard these
successful methods for more successful methods.  The more recently
successful method is not more true, however, just more successful at
answering a given set of questions.

3) Given 1 & 2 above, we should stop expecting all computers to come up
with the same solution to the same questions.

4) We should provide computers with "experiental" knowledge bases.  These,
by definition (at least as far as I understand them) can never be
complete.  This is okay.  See 1-3.  Each computer can have a different
knowledge base and weigh the likelyhood of any event based on its
personal knowledge base.  Should they be programmed by the computer owner?
Can the computer add its own information to its own knowledge base?  How
would it go about learning?  Choosing things to add?  What would be
weights to give things?  A weight for positive association?  Links to
other events? Percent similarity?

In essence, currently, computers are quite literally CALCULATORS.  We
cannot ask a calculator to read for us.  All we can do is make it
tabulate probabilities. I don't think any effort to make
a calculator read will ever be successful.  So any solution that
might be dreamt up would have to start with making computers more than
adders and subtractors.  Is this actually possible?  Tough to say.  To
what extent are people calculators?  Does a person calculate through their
memory when confronted by a new situation (this is X% similar to this
event that happened to me once before, and that event made me y% happy and
b% unhappy, and it was related to my mother, for whom I have g% of trust,
so I now understand this situation to be...)?  Or do they understand
things differently?  We don't even know how people understand the world
around them, or how a particular sentence will affect a specific
individual, so how to build a computer that can understand a sentence?
-Alexis

   redheadedstepchild.org
        ------- +