[iDC] if AI were a reality, which, currently, it is not

Paul Prueitt psp at ontologystream.com
Mon Mar 17 16:06:21 UTC 2008

I am thankful for this note, as it clarifies some things.

The issue that we seem to disagree over is seen in the word "currently:

> The only way that would be possible is if AI were a reality, which,
> currently, it is not.

The argument that Penrose and Robert Rosen and others make, is that,
like creating life from abstractions; abstractions may only be a part
of intelligence.  One need actual substance, and the silicon
computing paradigm does not have that substance.  In fact Pribram and
I and others regard the necessary substance as something that deals
with emergence, locality and non-locality in a way seen in the
emergence of function in biological systems.

There is no future to AI.  What there is is a recognition of the
things you are saying about the nature of the problem in data
interoperability and the aggregation of information into a
synthesized presentation (un touched by a centralized control).

The nature of the Church that you may have membership in is
illustrated by the statement:

>  We do, however, have the ability to
> program computers using whatever algorithm we feel is most
> meaningful and
> most able to send us the information we want.  Perhaps you are mad
> because
> the other people are not doing it for you in the way you most
> desire.  In
> which case I say learn to program.

First, I am not mad, not upset and not insane.  I am insistent about
a specific point of what I and others regard as science.  I am also
insistent that the programmer class should not be forced on all of
us .  Suppose we take your statement at face value and evolve a
culture where the right to vote depends on one's programing ability?

Why not let them eat cake?