[iDC] User Labor

Sam Ladner samladner at gmail.com
Thu May 1 18:47:51 UTC 2008

This is an interesting contrast to this, also released today:

http://www.refreshanalytics.com/

Refresh Analytics shows developers what their users are doing for purposes
of analysis and ultimately money-making. User Labour Markup Language, by
contrast, is an attempt to reveal how much labour users put into UG content
sites such as Facebook.

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Peter Timusk <ptimusk at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Interesting I have started to develop a protest DTD file a few years
> back for recording protest events.
>
> It should still be here
>
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/ptimusk/protest_dtd.html
>

> On 1-May-08, at 7:59 AM, Burak Arikan wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Today is May Day, we celebrate the social and economic achievements
> > of the labor movement ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> > Labor_movement ). In this important day, we wanted to announce our
> > project User Labor.
> >
> > User Labor Markup Language (ULML), is an open data structure to
> > outline the metrics of user participation in social web services.
> > Our aim is to construct criteria and context for determining the
> > value of user labor for distribution. We believe that universality,
> > transparency, and accessibility of user labor metrics will
> > ultimately lead to more sustainable service cycles in social web.
> >
> > Please see the examples on the User Labor website. Your feedback
> > and contribution is very important to improve this project.
> >
> > http://userlabor.org/
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Burak
> >
> > iDC Photo Stream:
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/idcnetwork/
> >
> > RSS feed:
> > http://rss.gmane.org/gmane.culture.media.idc
> >
> > iDC Chat on Facebook:
> > http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2457237647
> >
> > Share relevant URLs on Del.icio.us by adding the tag iDCref

~~~~~
Sam Ladner, PhD
Sociologist
Toronto