[iDC] an introduction

Phillip Thurtle thurtle at u.washington.edu
Sun May 4 17:01:12 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I just joined the discussion list and thought it a good idea to
introduce myself and let you know a bit of what I care about. I'm an
assistant prof in the Comparative History of Ideas at the UW, a
broadly interdisciplinary program in cultural and social theory. My
work has concentrated on the relationship of information and biology
in the 20th and 21st cent. I'm especially interested in how the ways
that we process information limits human (and other beings) potential.
I now have a book out, /The Emergence of Genetic Rationality: Space,
Time, and Information in American Biology, 1870-1920/, a co-authored
DVD-ROM (with Rob Mitchell and Helen Burgess) entitled, /Biofutures:
Owning Body Parts and information/, and some co-edited volumes (with
Rob Mitchell). My new project is an interactive database (folksonomy,
tagcomputing, submitted testimonies, submitted documents, and an
electronic workspace) on the biology and culture of evolutionary and
developmental biology research called, "The extended development
project". . . but this won't be launched for awhile yet.

My good friend, David Silver, suggested that I join this forum and I
look forward to sharing with others.

All warm regards-
Phillip

Phillip Thurtle