[iDC] The People Formerly Known as the Employers

Mark Deuze mdeuze at indiana.edu
Sat Nov 15 15:52:32 UTC 2008

Dear Brian, Michel:

Thanks for taking the time to read my blogpost, and making the effort
to write a response. Although I’m sure I come late to the table, as
Brian suggests, perhaps I could add some value to the ongoing debate
by redirecting some of our focus away from celebrating what you refer
to as “free radicals”, “radical minorities” and “networked protesters”
as somehow and necessarily located outside of public or commercial
media firms, to the talent of the often hardworking folks working on
in the inside (and whose ranks our students try to join).

Brian suggests the main culprit here is capitalism, exemplified by the
practices and ideals of neoliberal management: “stripping businesses
down to the managerial core and outsourcing as much labor as
possible.” Workforce flexibility is indeed an outcome of managerial
praxis, fueled by (some) workers demanding more control over their
work-life in order to start a family or take care of elderly parents/
grandparents, and (some) managers wanting to make organizations more
flexible and instantly adaptive to changing trends in consumer tastes
(as well as redirectling investments away from Talent towards
Technology). I emphasize this point – that I think both of you
indirectly make as well – to recognize the dual nature of this
development.

I concur that several social systems in society have dropped the ball
on signaling the trend towards the depopulation of (media)
professions. Policymakers (and union officials) rely on labor laws
that protect those who are already “in”, instead of those who either
want to get in or get in and out on their own terms; journalists and
other media workers glamorize their own work (mainly because they are
so personally invested in it) and thus underreport their own
exploitation, media academics have only in recent years started to
seriously address media production (now that all media using indeed
has become media making), and that work has not trickled down (or up)
to media management textbooks yet (something I am trying to correct
with a forthcoming volume bundling authors in this field, with
apologies for this early plug). Politicians are only beginning to
realize these issues in the context of a policy-driven shift towards
creative industries and a global cultural economy.

And Michel, about naming names of Web 2.0/social media/convergence
culture advocates that fail to acknowledge or take seriously the labor
context within which all this P2P production and media co-creation is
taking place – to be honest, when I was listening to Leopoldina
Fortunati the other day I felt for the first time that somebody
brilliantly articulated the twin process of power redistribution
taking place in this context. In my arguably limited experience, most
media scholars tend to be on one or the other side: either
articulating a celebratory/critical perspective on industry (which
perspective generally aims at big media corporations that in fact are
increasingly not involved in producing media), or a celebratory/
critical perspective on blogging and the such (again often ignoring
how much of the social media landscape in fact gets financed and
produced by media organizations and professionals).

Beyond this, why should we not warn against the deleterious side-
effects of a self-producing digital media culture? The productive
behavior of audiences is used by some managers and companies to
outsource salaried work to unpaid volunteers, for sure. Yet at the
same time, this praxis deeply disrupts the professional identity,
workflow, and business models across the media industries, making such
processes anything but uniquely exploitative. Additionally, through
case study research I do find plenty of examples of companies and
firms embracing different models of management, different approaches
to quality of life issues. Furthermore, the managerial school of
thought advocating “managing without management” is an inspiring way
of thinking about the organization of cultural production. All of
which to say there’s more to this than an either/or perspective.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Deuze
Department of Telecommunications
Indiana University, USA