[iDC] 136 Detours

Doug Schuler douglas at publicsphereproject.org
Sat Nov 15 23:57:38 UTC 2008

136 Detours

For the past eight years I've been working with 85+ people on a
project to identify "patterns" that will help promote positive social
change. Each pattern integrates social analysis and critique with
practical recommendations and, although each pattern is intended to be
used with other patterns, they also stand alone.

Each of the 136 patterns presents a conceptual detour. Each suggests a
multitude of possible routes that don't follow the ruts that today's
dominant forces (including inertia) are pushing on us.  The entire set
is a pattern language, a provisional, bottom-up critical theory of
social change.

The following two paragraphs are from the first chapter of "Liberating
Voices: A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution" (http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601
) which was just published by MIT Press.

"This book is devoted to the demolition of the official version of
information and communication systems at the dawn of the twenty-first
century and to the construction of alternative visions. Without
denying the positive impacts that elite people can and do make, this
book is dedicated to a radical orientation in which ordinary people
assert their rights, and their responsibilities, as citizens of the
world. It is my contention that the collective intelligence of the
world’s citizens, built on values, creativity, and courage, is also
desperately needed now. In part this is necessary to curb the excesses
of the world’s elites, many of whom have drunk too deeply and too
eagerly of their own self-congratulatory rhetoric and ideology and, as
a result, sacrificed the common good, knowingly as well as
unknowingly, to enhance their own privilege and power.

This book concentrates on communication as a crucial arena in the
battle for equality and justice. Communication is key to any
collective enterprise, and it is for that reason that we invite you to
the communication revolution that is already yours to win. Our only
request is that you acknowledge and take seriously your role as an
active participant. This is a diffuse and distributed movement. It
needs leaders and followers, and people in this work frequently shift
in and out of both roles. Everybody is needed in this struggle as we
work to liberate the voices, and the thoughts and actions, of people
around the world as humankind lurches warily and ill prepared into the
uncertainties of the century that has just begun."

--  From Liberating Voices: A Pattern Language for Communication
Revolution (MIT Press, 2008)

Over the next few months we hope to learn how the patterns are being
used and how to improve the process of using the patterns, via online
and offline, facilitated and non-facilitated approaches. We also plan
to improve the web site to allow people and groups to develop their
own pattern languages using existing as well as new patterns and to be
able to supplement the patterns with examples and experiences.

We welcome your participation. We'd especially like to see the
addition of new patterns that reflect your insights with respect to
distributed creativity.

Please let me know if you'd like to see the announcement for the
book.  I'd appreciate any and all assistance spreading the word.

Doug Schuler

The Public Sphere Project
      http://www.publicsphereproject.org/

The Liberating Voices pattern language project
      http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/

Online portal to the patterns in the book
     http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/pattern-table-of-contents.php

Liberating Voices: A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution can
be ordered online at:
      http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601