[iDC] 45 RPM (media history on heavy rotation)

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Aug 30 16:01:57 UTC 2009

Armin Medosch wrote:

"In my humble opinion discourse on new media has suffered from
too much 'idealism' in the broadest meaning, and also from too
much preference on culture as a separate category to the
detriment of study of the political economy of which those new
media phenomena are a part."

I totally agree and for that reason I like this text a lot. Much
of my own work has been devoted to similar attempts to place
communications technologies within a broader political-economic
narrative. Like Arnim I am an admirer of Raymond Williams' book
on TV, subtitled "Technology as Social Form." I would only
encourage people to go further in this direction, and to examine
more deeply the place of communications in the relation between
networked corporations and sovereign national power that
characterizes the contemporary political economy.

Communications are just one piece of a much more interesting
puzzle: nothing is ever simply an "expression" of some other,
more fundamental determinant, but there are patterns of
reciprocal self-reinforcement between very diverse sets of social
processes, so that they temporarily combine into an order, a
recognizable paradigm. The temporary order exists, and the
delimitation of separate periods or phases is justified, because
social functions have to be regular enough to become intuitive,
to be predictable, to work for a majority of those involved. Of
course periods can still be cut up in different ways, depending
on the level of generality that you want to explore. Forty- to
sixty-year Kondratieff cycles have been used a lot to "explain"
the successive phases of industrial capitalism, but it only gets
interesting when you include a broad mix of social, cultural,
political and economic factors in the picture whose dynamics you
are trying to analyze.

The real contradictions and stresses that will eventually cause
the regular flow of a period to shift are multiple indeed, they
cannot be analyzed from within a single field of inquiry. The
idea of the German media-theorists that Armin mentions, whereby
specific media technologies become the "subjects of history," is
bad Hegelianism and phony Marxism imho. It does not, to my
knowledge, internalize such crucial aspects as the global
division of labor, which has shaped the development of electronic
media so deeply in the age of transnational outsourcing and
financialization. But how different are the ecstatic theories of
someone like Lev Manovich? To isolate communications technology
from the society in which it takes form will never give much
insight into the changing shape of society in the future.

So let's move to the issue that has caused some debate here:
Fritz Haug's commodity aesthetic (Warenaesthetik). I find the
application to Facebook, the iPhone etc quite convincing. There
are now a lot of similarly aestheticized products that promise
satisfying self-images and affective relations, as palliatives or
ersatz consolations for for the angst and separation of
hypermobility, the violence of social and even personal
relations, the degradation of living environments etc. And for
those who have been involved with any aspect of free software,
there is something immediately convincing about the notion that
Web 2.0 offers only the "aesthetic semblance" of use value,
stripped of any familiarity with or any chance to participate in
the productive relations that actually create those values. Yet
it seems to me that Haug's description of commodity fetishism in
a consumer society has to be updated for the prosumer society,
where not only does the commodity look at you with the eyes of a
lover, the better to loosen the money from your wallet, but at
the same time, the image of self created by association with the
commodity is understood and fantasized by the buyer as a way to
augment the tradability of his or her own human capital, that is,
one's own exchange value on the market (which is usually a
speculative market, trading on appearances and potentials).
Communicational commodities thus address themselves both to the
consumer and to the (proto-)capitalist which neoliberal society
has trained all of us to become. And I believe that this
fundamental relation between individual desire and speculative
production is also covered over by the reticulated "surface" of
the communicational commodity.

Ultimately I wonder if the concept of use value can really catch
all that is at stake - and all that is foreclosed - in the highly
aestheticised experience of contemporary commodities. Remember
that for Marx, use value was the dialectical other of monetary
exchange value, within a strictly reductive nineteenth-century
English worldview where Jeremy Bentham and John Stuart Mill are
at one with Adam Smith and David Ricardo. Neither use value nor
exchange value is conceivable outside their relation to each
other. Together they compose a "form" of human life in society.
What we need to ask is how the commodity, or indeed, aesthetic
semblance, helps to create and maintain that basic form in each
new phase of capitalism -- or how, every forty to sixty years,
the commodity helps to create a new kind of world, a new system
of regularities linking production, consumption and desire. It
would be very interesting to hear more about Haug's ideas on how
the commodity creates a world. And here arises another crucial
question: Could a world be created out of pure use values,
independently of any aesthetic semblance?

I tend to think it could not, which means I accord an important
place to aesthetic semblance in the very constitution of human
beings and their capacity to do things in the real world. The
reason why is that we seem to need both a complete image of
ourselves in the world (a Gestalt) and a set of mental procedures
that increase our mastery over the world (analysis, calculation,
modeling, etc.). Both the Gestalt image and the analytical
capacities are forged in the mind, in the field of
representation, which I think is essential and not to be just
discounted as the utilitarians did. What this means is that
"aesthetic semblance" is crucial to the creation and use of
tools, to productivity itself, as Cornelius Castoriadis saw very
clearly. To use a tool you must have a representation of it, but
you must also have a representation of yourself in your relation
to the tool and its potentials; and furthermore, you must be able
to move through that complex system of representations according
to a specific kind of desire, in a prefigurative process that is
generally called imagination. This is why Castoriadis could speak
of "the imaginary institution of society."

There is a fantastic passage going to the heart of all this in
The Savage Mind, which I once quoted in another context:

“To understand a real thing in its totality we always tend to
work from its parts. The resistance it offers us is overcome by
dividing it,” writes the anthropologist Claude Levi-Strauss. He
compares this analytic process to the effect of artistic
miniatures: “Reduction in scale reverses this situation. Being
smaller, the object as a whole seems less formidable. More
exactly, this quantitative transposition extends and diversifies
our power over a homologue of the thing, and by means of it the
latter can be grasped, assessed and apprehended at a glance. A
child’s doll is no longer an enemy, a rival or even an
interlocutor. In and through it a person is made into a subject.”

The whole question is what kind of subject a person is made into,
and what kinds of subjects we make ourselves into, through the
imaginary relations that we maintain with instruments and tools.
In many different ways, communicational commodities help make us
into the subjects of contemporary capitalism. What they are
crucially hiding, in the carefully maintained closure of their
aesthetic semblance, is the collective capacity to imagine
worlds, and therefore to awaken desires for worlds different than
this one. If control over this capacity this has become so
important in the current phase of capitalism, it is because of
the intense contestation of the order of production and
consumption in the period of transition around 1968, when Marx
started to be massively read in the West, not so much for his
labor theory of value as for his theory of alienation.

For a relatively brief time (maybe a decade) the shape that
society would take was at issue, the way it would continuously be
in a substantial democracy. What was essential in order to put
the capitalist system back together again in the wake of that
period of chaos and contestation was to regain the monopoly over
a very important collective capacity, that of imagining a
different world. If the imagination was going to come to power,
as the 68 slogan called for, it would then become a strategic
function in society.

For the majority of people, the commodity was primarily useful in
the earlier periods of the industrial revolution, it served basic
needs of reproduction, of survival. It was theorized as a "util"
(still a technical term in economics). Then it became primarily
pleasurable in the age of welfare-state Fordism, which Fritz
Haug's theory addresses. It was a seductive mirror, a bourgeois
accoutrement for the masses, the salable part of an audiovisual
"star system" which is still tremendously influential. Now the
commodity must also be disalienating. It must be communicational,
which means it must promise community. Its ideological function
is to knit prosumers into the network of an increasingly
precarious world that is ideally blind to all that threatens us.
The form of the commodity today is shaped by this larger function.

I believe we are now getting near the end of the phase of
capitalism that started in the late 70s and early 80s, with the
de-industrialization of former core countries and the onset of
financially led globalization. That system is beginning to fall
apart, less because of a pure crisis of profitability (Marx's
falling rate of profit) than because of ecological and political
contradictions in the neoliberal order. Some new period will
ultimately cohere and replace this failed paradigm. As
intellectuals and artists, don't we need to theorize and to
provoke the crisis of the communicational commodity - rather than
trying to perfect it?

best to all, Brian