[iDC] Documents from The Internet as Playground and Factory (Trebor Scholz)

Trebor Scholz scholzt at newschool.edu
Fri Dec 4 16:21:18 UTC 2009

[All,
Thanks for your contributions!!
In advance of my conference report
I am sending you a few conference-related links. Enjoy.
best,
Trebor]

===================

Introduction

http://www.digitallabor.org

===================

The Program
- Download
http://digitallabor.org/program
- Flip through it in your browser
http://www.scribd.com/doc/22379814/Program-IPF09

===================

The Participants
Abstracts, biographies

http://digitallabor.org/participants/

===================

IPF on Twitter
http://twitter.com/idctweets

Conference Hash Tag
#IPF09

Find Tweets Tagged #IPF09

http://friendfeed.com/search?q=ipf09

over one thousand, conference-related posts. Just follow the links at
the end of each individual post.
http://is.gd/53JVJ

===================
Selected Live Tweets #IPF09
http://is.gd/5cjAs

===================

The Twitter Conference Game
(BackChatter by Local No. 12)

http://digitallabor.org/backchatter/

http://twitology.org/

===================
Bibliography
We comprised a bibliography on digital labor from submissions by
conference participants.
http://digitallabor.org/references/

To join:
http://digitallabor.org/discussion

December 2009
https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2009-December/thread.html

November
https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2009-November/thread.html

October
https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2009-October/thread.html

September
https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2009-September/thread.html

July
https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2009-July/thread.html

June
https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2009-June/thread.html

===================
Voices from #IPF09
We are in the process of uploading short video statements by most
speakers.
Thus far: http://vimeo.com/user2103510/videos/sort:plays (some 15 more
will follow)

Abigail De Kosnik http://vimeo.com/7956499
Alexander R. Galloway http://vimeo.com/6527166
Alexander Halavais http://vimeo.com/7954685

Andrew Ross part 1: http://vimeo.com/6880896

Andrew Ross part 2: http://vimeo.com/6881391

Brittany Chozinski http://vimeo.com/6901224

Catherine Driscoll http://vimeo.com/7509706

Christiane Paul http://vimeo.com/7404991
David Golumbia http://vimeo.com/7955418

Dominic Pettman http://vimeo.com/6428435

Frank Pasquale http://vimeo.com/7529987

Fred Benenson http://vimeo.com/7426157

Fred Turner http://vimeo.com/7696221
Christian Fuchs http://vimeo.com/7954268

Gabriella Coleman http://vimeo.com/7122412

Hector Postigo http://vimeo.com/6428745
Howard Rheingold http://vimeo.com/7919949
Ivan Sigal http://vimeo.com/7955983

Jonah Bossewitch http://vimeo.com/7446992

Jonah Brucker-Cohen http://vimeo.com/6461344

Jonathan Beller http://vimeo.com/7404991

Ken Wark http://vimeo.com/6428602
Lilly Irani http://vimeo.com/7918454

Mark Andrejevic http://vimeo.com/7697188
Mark Coté http://vimeo.com/7896244

Melissa Gregg http://vimeo.com/7696032
Michel Bauwens http://vimeo.com/7919113

Orit Halpern http://vimeo.com/6895034

Pat Kane http://vimeo.com/7698029

Patricia Clough http://vimeo.com/6797762

Patrick Lichty http://vimeo.com/7280996

Prelude Discussion Terranova, Wark, Ross http://vimeo.com/6941506

Saskia Sassen http://vimeo.com/6789940

Stephanie Rothenberg http://vimeo.com/6942119

Thomas Malaby http://vimeo.com/7697806

Tiziana Terranova http://vimeo.com/6882379
-and a response by Paol
Ursula Endlicher http://vimeo.com/6789940

Conference Video Mashup with Dance Beat by James Kendall Blake III
http://vimeo.com/7581938

===================
Slides, Maps, Texts by Speakers
Some conference speakers shared their presentations online. Please note
that many of these slide shows, videos, mind maps, and texts are still
in progress. They are listed here in random order.

Mark Andrejevic “Estranged Free Labor”

http://www.slideshare.net/trebor/mark-andrejevic-as-part-of-the-internet-as-playground-and-factory

Ivan Sigal “Global Voices. Volunteerism and building an international
online community”
http://www.slideshare.net/ivansigal/digital-labor-sigal

McKenzie Wark “Ideologies of Praxis”

http://www.slideshare.net/mckenziewark/ideologies-of-praxis

Sean Cubitt “After Tolerance”

http://www.slideshare.net/seancubitt/after-tolerance

Thomas Malaby “Performing Value: Labor and Contingency in Virtual Worlds”

http://www.slideshare.net/tmmalaby/performing-value-labor-and-contingency-in-virtual-worlds

Trebor Scholz “The Expropriation of Digital Labor and What to Do About
It”

http://www.slideshare.net/trebor/institutionalized-free-labor-and-what-to-do-about-it

Jodi Dean “Whatever-Blogging”

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22431075/Chapter-3-Whatever-Blogging
http://www.slideshare.net/jodi3425/whatever-blogging-show

Laura Forlano “Writing for the Algorithm: Digital Labor and Mobile Work”

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22441702/Forlano-Writing-for-the-Algorithm-11-1-09

Darren Wershler “Uncreative Class Slides”

http://www.slideshare.net/darrenwershler/uncreative-class-slides

Melissa Gregg “Affective Labor: Past and Present”

http://www.slideshare.net/trebor/affective-labor

Jonathan Beller “The Digital Ideology”

http://www.slideshare.net/guest3a676d/jonathan-beller-digital-ideology-presentation

Chris Kelty “No Fun. Work, Labor, Action in Free Software”

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22394057/No-Fun-Slides

Burak Arikan “User Labor”

http://www.slideshare.net/burakarikan/user-labor-presentation-digital-labor-conference-new-school-ny

Jonathan Zittrain “Minds for Sale”

http://www.slideshare.net/trebor/ubicomp

David Golumbia “The Digital Securitization of Labor”

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22440260/The-Digital-Securitization-of-Labor

Alex Halavais “Factory Schools”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnZC4bmsho

Frank Pasquale “Distributive Justice Online”

http://www.slideshare.net/FrankPasq/pasquale-distributive-justice-online

Scott Kildall and Victoria Scott “No Matter”

http://www.slideshare.net/skildall/no-matter-digital-labor-v1

James Grimmelman “The Ethical Vision(s) of Copyright Law”

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22393902/Ethical-Visions

Ellen Goodman “Public Media: From Broadcast to Broadband”

http://www.slideshare.net/trebor/public-media

Pat Kane “The Play Ethic: Play, Potentiality and the Constitution of the
Net”

http://www.slideshare.net/theplayethic/play-potentiality-and-the-constitution-of-the-net-pat-kane-at-wwwdigitallabororg?src=embed

TwitVid of Howard Rheingold’s Presentation

http://www.twitvid.com/3CCF9

Brian Holmes “Global Finance, Precarious Destinies”

http://brianholmes.wordpress.com/2009/11/06/is-it-written-in-the-stars

(This is not Holmes’ talk at IPF but a related blog post.)

Jesse Drew “Work and Play from the Factory to the Brave New Workplace”

http://www.slideshare.net/jessedrew/jesse-drew-presentation

Geoff Cox “Software Art-Work For-Itself”

http://www.slideshare.net/geoffcox/software-artwork-foritself

Luis Nunez “1989: the Wall and the Web – Body, and the Tyranny of
Connectivity”

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22453088

Robert Mitchell “Ends and Means: Digital Labor in the Context of Health”

http://www.slideshare.net/rmitch/mitchell-internet-play-nov2008

Abigail De Kosnik “Fan Labor as Paid Labor?”

http://www.slideshare.net/gaildekosnik/fan-labor-as-paid-labor

Julian Kücklich “Work Hard, Play Harder. Labour, Plabor, and the
Ideology of Play”

http://www.slideshare.net/cucchiaio/playbour

Lilly Irani “Agency and Exploitation in Amazon Mechanical Turk”

http://www.slideshare.net/lirani/agency-and-exploitation-in-amazon-mechanical-turk

Kenneth Rogers “Capital Implications Part II: From Labor to Human
Capital”

http://www.slideshare.net/dinermode/capital-implications-part-ii-from-labor-to-human-capital

Martin Roberts “Productivity Is Fun”

http://www.slideshare.net/mroberts1/productivity-is-fun?from=email&type=share_slideshow&subtype=slideshow

Brittany Chozinski “Digital Bodies, Digital Labor”

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22392683/Digital-Bodies-Digital-Labor

Hector Postigo “Free Labor and Digital Networks America Online
Volunteers”

http://www.mindmeister.com/34640025/free-labor-and-digital-networks-americal-online-volunteers

Michel Bauwens “The Politics of Peer Production”

http://www.slideshare.net/mbauwens/the-politics-of-peer-production

Paul Hartzog “Panarchy: Politics, Production, and Polycentrism”

http://www.slideshare.net/paulbhartzog/ipf09

Christian Fuchs “Class and Exploitation on the Internet”

http://www.slideshare.net/christianfuchs/class-and-exploitation-on-the-internet

===================
Video Documentation
We recorded all sessions and streamed some of them. The live streams are
already archived. We will make the rest of the video available soon.

Virtual Worlds, Civil Rights, and
Slaughter
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2548043

Expropriating Labor in Virtual
Worlds
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2549438

Governance in the age of vulnerable
publics
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2555329

The Emancipatory Potential of
Play
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2556590

Ideology and The Erotics of Playbor Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WjorEAIExs

Ideology and The Erotics of Playbor Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WQV9aSglE8

===================
Leadup, After Glow, Summaries, Notes, Conference Reports IPF09

Nick Montfort’s Reflections
“The Internet as Playground and Factory offered a beginning to the
important conversation that we (in digital media) have been avoiding.
Speakers addressed the lack of explicit political engagement among open
source software developers, the different types of labor/work/action
seen online, the complexities of labor (why are these Chinese gold
farmers spending some of their free time playing the game that they toil
at all day?), and other important and often-overlooked issues.”
http://nickm.com/post/2009/11/digital-labor-nyc-nov-12-14/

Christian Fuchs
“Overall, the conference ‘The Internet as Playground and Factory’ has
shown that Critical Internet Studies is alive and well and is a subfield
that is growing in size and importance of the transdiscipline ICTs and
society. The practical hope for the future is that Internet scholars
will continue to work in the critical spirit that has shaped this
conference and thereby will try to contribute to bring about a
participatory Internet in a participatory society.”
https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2009-November/004068.html

"IPF09 Conference Thoughts" by Mark Edward Cote
"first off, i want to thank trebor organizing such a brilliant event; it
was certainly one of the best conferences i have had the privilege to
attend. as important was all the work done by the student volunteers.
without your collective labour, the play of the conference simply would
not have happened. thank you."
https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2009-December/004106.html

"On the Hyper Architecture of Memex and New Babylon. Informal notes from
“Internet as Playground and Factory” #IPF09 Conference at The New
School" by David Richard Carroll
http://www.mercurious.com/wordpress/2009/11/14/new-babylon/

"Whatever Being" by F(r)iction Project
"I am not denying the importance of social media and the potential that
exists in terms of disseminating information. Yet I agree with Dean that
these platforms based on collectivity purely for the sake of
‘collectivity’ do not have the ability to mobilize or sustain true
social movements, and if anything, they merely engender a superficial
sense of solidarity based on convenience and vanity (being a ‘fan’ of
Michelle Obama and joining the group ‘Free Palestine’ outwardly depicts
how liberal, hip and socially progressive one is and is a very
‘convenient’ way of engaging politically)."
http://frictionproject.wordpress.com/2009/11/17/whatever-being-3/

David
Golumbia
https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2009-November/004087.html

"IPF09 Conference Thoughts" by Patricia Clough
"The conference  was exhausting  in the Deleuzian sense. It exhausted me
and it exhausted a broad range of  topics making room for fresh and much
needed critical thinking."
https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2009-December/004107.html

A Parsons' Student
http://a.parsons.edu/~laquj322/blog/?p=273

"Internet as Playground & Factory" by Alex Halavais
"As a theme, it was intriguing. I was a bit concerned in the discussion
that preceded the conference that there would be a particular focus on
fairly abstract critical theory. Over the years, my enjoyment of
super-abstract cultural theory has given way to tolerance. Too often, I
worry that the language has obscured the precision of the ideas.
Luckily, the pendulum has swung back from the extreme end of this, where
verbal gymnastics was valued more than real ideas, and theorist rock
stars attracted audiences not because of what they had to say but how
they had to say it. As I look back on the conference I am definitely
glad I got the chance to go."
http://alex.halavais.net/internet-as-playground-factory/

Report from Prelude Event “Crowdsourcing Labor – Distributed Democracy
or Centralized
Sweatshop?”
http://turbulence.org/blog/2009/11/10/live-stage-crowdsourcing-labor-brooklyn/#more-10332

"Against Crowdsourced Politics" by Mary Joyce
http://www.digiactive.org/2009/11/16/against-crowdsourced-politics/

"Brian Holmes: Is it Written in the Stars? IPF09" by Jodi Dean
http://jdeanicite.typepad.com/i_cite/2009/11/brian-holmes-is-it-written-in-the-stars-ipf09.html

IPF Notes by Mary Theberge
http://pickingupsticks.wordpress.com/2009/11/14/notes-from-ipf09/

Michael Zimmer about The Internet as Playground and Factory
“Scholz’s framing of Web 2.0 as a site for exploitative digital labor is
very compelling, and has become the topic for a conference on 'The
Internet as Playground and Factory,' hosted by Scholz from November
12-14 2009 at The New School in NYC. The list of participants is one of
the most impressive I’ve come across, and I regret I will not be able to
attend and contribute to this important interrogation of Web 2.0.”
http://michaelzimmer.org/2009/10/17/the-internet-as-playground-and-factory/

"Digital Labor at the New School" by Frank Pasquale
“I became involved in the conference after seeing Trebor, danah boyd,
and Ethan Zuckerman discuss online life’s possibilities last year. Not
that many people currently feel 'exploited' by companies like Facebook,
Comcast, or Google. What I find so compelling about this conference is
the chance to reconceptualize what we (and companies like these) owe one
another online.”
http://madisonian.net/2009/10/27/digital-labor-at-the-new-school/

"Play and Protest" by Frank Pasquale
“I focused on the 'factory' presentations, and I’ve had a bit of trouble
digesting the “play” side of the conference (such as the Bureau of
Workplace Interruptions).”
http://madisonian.net/2009/11/25/play-and-protest/

"On Crowds, Wisdom, and Playbor" by Alex Reid
http://www.alex-reid.net/2009/11/on-crowds-and-wisdom.html

Video Welcome Letter via Seesmic by Scholz, Wark, Welaratna, and Fuchs

http://seesmic.tv/threads/dzijUisaPo

Smart Workers
“Wie verändert das Internet unsere Art zu arbeiten und zu leben? Welche
Rechte haben User sozialer Plattformen – oder sollten sie haben? Was
passiert, wenn durch digitale Kollaboration Consumer zu Produzenten
werden?”
http://www.smartworkers.net/2009/11/the-internet-as-playground-and-factory/

Dale Hudson

http://www.ithaca.edu/fleff/blogs/digital_spaces/playground_or_factory_conference_on_the_internet_o/

Conference Summary Part I by PJ Rey

https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2009-November/004067.html

Conference Summary Part 2 by Nathan Jurgenson
“Martin Roberts, in, ironically, perhaps the conference’s most
entertaining presentation, also took to task the culture of “fun”,
arguing that we have been trained to see our work as “fun”, making us
more productive for the capitalist system.”
https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2009-November/004069.html

Brief New School Radio Clip
http://wnsr.parsons.edu/?p=697

A Series of Short Blog Essays by Pat Kane
http://www.theplayethic.com/2009/06/the-internet-as-factory-and-playground-1-the-travails-of-fan-labour.html
http://www.theplayethic.com/2009/06/digitallabour2.html
http://www.theplayethic.com/2009/06/digitallabor3.html
http://theplayethic.typepad.com/play_journal/playtheory_ch_2/
http://www.theplayethic.com/2009/11/playnetfactory.html

IPF on New School Web Site
http://www.newschool.edu/lang/subpage.aspx?id=37184
http://www.newschool.edu/eventDetail.aspx?id=37184

Kevin Kim on IPF09
“If you haven’t guess it, this conference is based on the idea of
digital networked labor as it questions whether we are being exploited
through our everyday online activities. I often get asked how web
services like Youtube and Facebook are “free for use”, so this
conference is set to explore what we actually trade in return, be it our
individual privacy or labor within privatized commons.”
http://theory.isthereason.com/?p=2792

Liz Losh
“The Internet as Playground and Factory has a terrific line-up of
speakers as well, which includes those who’ve been talked about here at
Virtualpolitik, such as Jodi Dean, Alexander Galloway, Lilly Irani,
Ulises Mejias, Nick Montfort, Lisa Nakamura, Hector Postigo, Howard
Rheingold, Ned Rossiter, Fred Turner, McKenzie Wark, and Jonathan L.
Zittrain.”
http://virtualpolitik.blogspot.com/2009/09/factory-floor.html

"There’s an incredible lecture/discussion series at The New School this
weekend titled, Internet as Playground and Factory that’s just
absolutely fascinating."
http://thefmly.com/2009/11/13/the-internet-as-playground/

"The lineup is ridiculous, comprising of who’s who in media studies,
sociology, anthropology and other related disciplines. Moreover, it
features three of my teachers–Patricia T. Clough (my dissertation
chair), Alex Galloway (with whom I took a 6-person seminar at NYU) and
Paolo Carpignano (for Fieldston/Wesleyan people, yes…Jonas’ dad). What’s
cool is that the conference organizer Trebor Scholz has been taking
video of the various speakers and compiling them on Vimeo channel.
They’ve been fantastic quite frankly."
http://caughtintheweb.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/digital-playbor/

"Help me brainstorm some alternatives: OK. Internet as Playground and
Factory. A couple more...
Bazaar, auction floor, shopping market; library, archive, classroom;
theatre, circus, festival, carnival, saloon; coffee house, town hall,
public square, courthouse (jury by peers); tower (of Babble), bridge,
cathedral, clock, calendar. What else?"
http://www.columbia.edu/~bjp2108/blog/2009/09/conference-internet-as-playground-and.html

HASTAC announces The Internet as Playground and Factory
http://www.hastac.org/events/internet-playground-and-factory