[iDC] IPF09 Conference thoughts

Kevin Hamilton kham at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 4 17:07:05 UTC 2009

Brian and all, thanks so much for your responses here to the
conference. For those of us who couldn't make it to NYC, this and many
other outlets have served as valuable inlets.

A couple of additions to your meditation and history here, Brian.

My sense is that in some cases, the Bauhaus grid met with some
resistant forces in America - largely, that of industry expectations
of art and design education. I can't cite the source at the moment,
but I remember reading about how Moholy-Nagy in particular faced
pressures in this regard, where Chicago business had grown dependent
on the Illinois Institute of Technology for the provision of ready
workers in the design and application of visual identity. They
apparently began to complain that students under these new European
instructors weren't adequately prepared for working in industry;
Moholy-Nagy and others had to bend to bring their universalized,
abstract ideals down to the level of economic pressures. The larger
story of how this translation took place for him and others needs to
be told (I haven't seen it yet, anyway) - what was dropped, what kept,
what transformed and how? It's a story bound up with the shaping of
art school as we know it in America.

To my knowledge (and Orit likely knows more here), Kepes benefited
essentially from a patron in the form of MIT's president Wiesner at
the time, whose utopian vision kept CAVS alive. My understanding is
that when Wiesner left, CAVS tanked.

This happened more or less at the same time as Von Foerster's lab
ended here at Illinois - his patron, the Office of Naval Research, was
forced to drop him when the Mansfield amendment restricted military
funding of "blue sky" projects.

So Radical Constructivism, and the universal grid of subjectivity,
looked to make the whole world, but it couldn't make a world stand up
without the help of no-strings-attached funding, funding that couldn't
last for long. The question that remains is this - What can we learn
from the consequent influence of the Bauhaus grid on Chicago's image
industry, or of cybernetics on economics and management theory? Are
these examples of the familiar story of long-term capital-driven
projects borrowing from the avant-garde without sustaining it? How
else might we tell these stories?

In this account, European utopias drop their spiritual/expressive bent
when they come to the states, leaving only an abstract universalizing
language, which then gets picked clean by economically stronger
interests who need only a certain kind of abstraction. That could
describe moments from earlier in America's history as well. (I wonder
what postcolonial theory offers this account.)

Kevin Hamilton