[iDC] IPF09 Conference thoughts

John Hopkins jhopkins at tech-no-mad.net
Fri Dec 4 22:54:00 UTC 2009

Hi Kevin --

> Thanks for sharing this tantalizing bit from your project Chris, I'm
> sure eager to see more of the outcomes. You rightfully remind us that
> framing the discussion in terms of ideologies or worldviews, even
> economically-influenced ones, leaves out the fact that there are bodies
> moving around (or not moving), generating these stories.

Much of the flow of human resources (beings) as a primary energy source, was
facilitated (forced along) by the formative pathways of the Military-Industrial
complex (Interstate highway system, for example, the car culture in general,
etc, ad nauseum).  It was the prescribed protocollary forces of that M-I system
that facilitated (required!) mobility of the bodies as a dispensable resource.
And that enforced mobility had a cost -- the essential alienation of the
displaced Self.  This displaced Self would have been a major social problem in
regards to social stability, but that problem was muted by universal consumerism
(chain retailing) which imposed a sameness on most major (Cartesian) points
under the domain of the M-I complex.  The pathways remain the same, but the
strictness of their applied stricture on each individual gives rise to a
plethora of different stories: variations on a theme.

These energy flows are not arbitrary, but are complex interactions between
evolutionary expressions of life on the planet (humans as perhaps a non-unique
expression of that life, in principle) and how techno-social systems re-form and
apply pathways on those energies...

jh