[iDC] IPF09 Conference thoughts

Kevin Hamilton kham at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 7 21:17:06 UTC 2009

Yes Saul, this is part of why the passage described here, the story
Brian started us off with, describes a limited and dead-end journey.
I'm working on an assumption that the reason for this thread, the
telos of this particular conversation, is to better understand and re-
make current configurations of sensation and cultural action as they
exist in much college art education.

For the examples cited in this thread, that means revisiting the basic
sites of modern visual education  - figure/ground, pictorial order,
design principles etc - and asking what might have been missing in
those subject positions and how action is founded on them. Don Ihde's
work on "postphenomenology" has some valuable offerings here - I also
think of Elizabeth Grosz's work. Yes, we need different understandings
of agency that are still rooted in sensing - and we need ways of
teaching it.

Sorry all if we've left the conference at this point. Maybe we should
change the subject thread heading, I'm grateful for the conversation.

Kevin