[iDC] A Curmudgeonly Look at last month's Conference.

Zac Zimmer zac.zimmer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 18:05:44 UTC 2009

Dear all,

I have been a reader of the iDC list, and I was a participant in the
conference, but this is my first post. I must say: I am taken aback by
Michael Goldhaber's aggressive and confrontational postings. I appreciate
insightful analytic observations, yet when they are presented in a way that
categorically rejects others' contributions, such observations actually
undermine the project itself, which seems to be founded on thoughtful
exchange and dialogue.

But to the substance: Michael Goldhaber says that the Internet may be,
arguably, the largest collective creation of humanity in all of history. He
does not, of course, *make* that argument. The reason I point this out is
because it indicates a methodological commitment that blinds Mr. Goldhaber
to other thinkers' contributions, both to this mailing list and to the
conference.

If we are talking about historical "collective creations of humanity," I
think it would be fair to invoke religion at least as a point of comparison,
both in its particular manifestations (Christianity, Buddhism, Islam,
Candomblé, etc.), their more generic forms (polytheism and monotheism, for
instance), and as one large "collective creation" i.e. religion as such.

Furthermore, the same could be said for "culture." Is, say, the historical
creation called "Chinese Culture" larger than "the Internet"? How do we even
begin to answer this question? What about "culture as such"? Does that
category subsume "the Internet"? (One can easily think of several other
examples: capital leaps to mind...)

These are the kinds of methodological questions that Mr. Goldhaber seems to
reject out-of-hand by omission. He asks "what do we say about the Internet?"
and he has little patience for those who ask the previous question: "how can
we even talk about the Internet?" Indeed, it seems Mr. Goldhaber's
"nightmare" is not the nightmare of human reason betraying itself, but
rather the nightmare of Scholasticism: a deference to textual authority that
passes for critical and theoretical thought. And here is the pitfall: it
seems that Mr. Goldhaber, even if he celebrates "transgressive thought"
(although I get the feeling he means something more along the lines of
"creative destruction"), he seems to take the very phenomenon--the
Internet--about which he writes as a given.

Those who ask the previous question--how can we even talk about the
Internet?--spend time trying to define the shifting boundaries of the
phenomenon: is it a tool of control? is it a cultural manifestation? is it
an advertiser's playground? is it an emancipatory advance in human
consciousness? These thinkers make recourse to metaphors that have been used
to describe other collective human creations. Some thinkers make creative
reuse of old metaphors, others maintain loyalty to old metaphors at the
expense of an accurate description of the contemporary situation. Mr.
Goldhaber's primary contribution is to decry those thinkers more loyal to
historical metaphors than to the contemporary situation. We should be
grateful for this. Yet to cite someone--either Karl Rove or Jacques Derrida,
I can't remember any more--metaphors matter.

Take the case of 'data.' It seems that "the Internet is made up of data" is
a claim that many of us can accept, especially if we specify and say "the
Internet is made up of many things, one significant element of which is
data." So those thinkers who reflect upon the way that the Internet handles
data are not engaging in trivial and/or insignificantly thoughtful
activities. Again: they are looking for ways to talk about *how* the
Internet deals with "data."

Mr. Goldhaber rejects any fidelity to the "Orwell metaphor." At best, he
implies, references to Nineteen Eighty-four are trivially paranoid; at
worse, they become self-fulfilling prophecies. Yet when Frank Pasquale
counters that our contemporary situation lies under the sign of Kafka and
Huxley, rather than Orwell, we should all pause. For those of us who read
literature, this is a very useful correction. Kafka's literary creations
are, I dare to say, much more interesting, artful and challenging than
Orwell's novels. And I do think that Kafka, as an artist, can teach us a lot
about our world. This is precisely the kind of "transgressive" critical move
that Mr. Goldhaber seems to advocate, so I am puzzled by his silence
regarding the suggestion.

If that is what I take away from this particular exchange--I should read The
Trial tonight instead of Nineteen Eighty-Four--then I thank both Mr.
Goldhaber and Mr. Pasquale for leading me to that non-trivial revelation.
But folks: must a simple book recommendation be so antagonistic?

Best,
zz