[iDC] PS pre-publication version of Postill 2008

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Sun Jan 18 07:13:34 UTC 2009

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing the article below to the list.

Forgive me if a non-expert like myself gives some critique, but I tried
to read the article and have trouble getting past the first sentences of
the abstract or the Introduction. They state: "As the numbers of
Internet users worldwide continue to grow, the Internet is becoming
‘more local’." and "Until the mid-1990s the number of Internet users
worldwide was small and most users could not help but communicate with
others at great distances. But as the numbers continue to grow, the
Internet is gradually becoming ‘more local’ (Davies and Crabtree 2004).

For one thing the article is missing the reference to "Davies,W. and J.
Crabtree (2004) ‘Invisible Villages: Technolocalism and Community
Renewal’, Renewal 12(1)". It can be found with mighty Google, but why do
I have to do that? But more importantly the reference is not very
convincing. But my real block stems from trying to correlate these
statements with my personal experience. They makes me simply doubt this
lead-in statement outright. As far as I can tell from my own, now almost
pre-historic Internet memories - it started with me playing the first
telnet based MUDs and browsing on CERN's NCSA Mosaic Version 1.0 on a
time-share box in the Physics department at the USask around 1990 - the
Internet was, at least at that particular time and from my specific
perspective, already fully global AND local.

Some examples to illustrate: The newsgroup usask.forsale comes to mind,
where undergrads and department heads would barter for stuff quite
locally. Or the SLG Linux users group I helped found, complete with
mailinglist to organize beer and wing nights in the local pub, and
website which mediated local Installfests to get people to punt Windows
3.11 in favor of kernel 1.0.9. Or the warez distribution crowd which
used BBSs and networking but of course also the the local "sneakernet"
to move stacks of floppies. Or the public libraries' Freenet which had
both a modem for local callers and an Internet connection for the kicks
of having global reach.

We probably talk about different things, you may say. But I believe,
much more context on this proposed "increase of localism" is needed.
Because without it, some readers might get lost right at the beginning
of your text like myself.

--Andreas