[iDC] Are We Google's Paint?

Myron Turner mturner at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jan 22 17:00:00 UTC 2009

Just for the record, I think we might extend Anna's observation
explicitly to new media art.  A quick search of Rhizome's Artbase, under
the database tag, shows a variety of projects which use google, and I'm
sure if we checked out  http://www.runme.org/, we'd find many others.
Artists use google as metaphor, a source material in itself, and as a
gateway into information that gets wrapped up into a piece of net art.
The relationship between art and google and information is extremely
fluid.  When it comes to net art, is there really even a metaphorical
equivalent to paint?  I don't really think so.  Where do we start?
Scripting languages, servers, operating systems, circuits?  And which of
these are the paint, and which the brushes?

--

Myron Turner