[iDC] An Introduction (was: The emergence of the geospatial web)

John Hopkins jhopkins at tech-no-mad.net
Fri Jan 23 17:41:34 UTC 2009

Joe :: you may want to stop reading here.

>I think both GPS and warfare are symptoms of a much larger, and
>positive, deep human desire.  The desire to be synchronized,
>coordinated, to have beautiful choreographed teamwork across multiple
>scales.  And to feel our power as humans in groups.  Even the large
>industrial operations you people are critiquing involved logistics and a
>scale of operations that, I'm sure, got somebody excited.

got someone excited about the concentrations of power that come(s to them) from a large group of humans surrendering their autonomy to that of the collective social institution...

>People love reading about special forces operations.  Even radical

I don't love to read about Special Ops / killing...

>artists love the word "tactical."  I think this is why.

most likely because the social system that they are operating within is saturated with militaristic thinking, education, and basic concepts!

>The problem is, until now, many of these vast, coordinated operations
>have been directed at the wrong aims.  They have been destructive, of
>natural resources, of human life, etc, instead of constructive.  This is

It is the nature of large social structures to cause unbalanced concentrations and rarifactions of energy and matter which will always have adverse affects on dynamically balanced 'natural' systems.

Try, for example, deploying a 'technological solution' without, for example, any reliance on mining.

It's only 'sustainable' when you do the typical examination of affects on a local scale, not considering the wider infrastructure that you are (completely) dependent upon.

>What if we could create an economic system where the barnraising was the
>paradigm, rather than the war or the mining operation.  Which featured

BTW, you need first-growth oak trees to frame a proper Amish barn & that's almost impossible to find anymore at any price ...

>GPS and special ops, but directed towards those ends that result in
>POSITIVE EXPERIENCE, for ourselves and for future generations?
>
>That's what I'm doing.  Check it out at http://groundcrew.us.  You can
>send me fan mail at this address.  We're also looking to hire right now,
>UI designers and MBA/seasoned entrepreneur types, so put us in touch.

marketing bunk!  much of it reads like Red Herring from 1997.  Is this a loop tape?

http://groundcrew.us/papers/your-life

nowhere is the existence of an invisible 'organizer' who will bring about a "dawn of new integration'  and a 'new world order' recognized in a spiel that only slightly veils the perversion of community that it seeks to capitalize upon.

JH