[iDC] A Reflection on the Activist Strategies in the Web 2.0 Era

Curt Cloninger curt at lab404.com
Fri Jan 23 22:20:50 UTC 2009

Thanks Lucia,

I suppose I am saying that once a "tactical media artist" puts work
in a gallery, a museum, or an arts festival, then that works gains a
strategic component -- because galleries, museums, and festivals, and
the practices of art production that surround them, fall within the
institutional realm that de Certeau is describing (although some of
these institutions and organizations are admittedly more fluid/agile
than others). And again, there is nothing ethically wrong with this.

I am trying to problematize de Certeau's binary distinction. Yes,
there is a continuum from the weak tactical consumer to the stronger
tactical artist producer, but that same continuum continues on toward
the systematic institutional producer, and I don't think simply
calling onesself a "tactical media artist" excludes one from being
considered a strategic media producer. Nor should it. Nor should we
always rule out stategic institutional production as ethically off
limits or pragmatically ineffectual. An artist can and should
implement a combination of multiple production
approaches/tactics/strategies (and indeed, this has often been the
case, regardless of what tactical media artists and theorists have
claimed).

Beyond mere resistance, could we push toward modulating and
inflecting both ourselves and "the man" until the whole binary system
was tweaked into something heretofore unknown?

To quote pithy media theorists ZZ Top:
"Jesus just left Chicago and he's bound for New Orleans /
Working from one end to the other, and all points in between."

Best,
Curt