[iDC] A Reflection on the Activist Strategies in the Web 2.0 Era

John Hopkins jhopkins at tech-no-mad.net
Mon Jan 26 18:43:46 UTC 2009

hei Michael

>but I think that there is one more missing element, i.e. using the tools at our disposal, not just for a critical imaginary, but for a counter-construction of new forms of life, relationships, work et... and it is my, I guess optimistic, opinion, that we are in the midst of such reconfiguration.

hasn't there been a constant effort of counter-construction, counter-use of the Master's tools?  Every time someone purposefully uses language in a new way, to circumscribe their own idiosyncratic world view, this is a  counter-construction.  Of course, it is critical to use the re-formed tools to create new lived practices.  It would seem that this has gotten more difficult given the pervasiveness of the Market, but surely these are constants in the human struggle for authentic autonomous be-ing.

>But first is letting go of the hold of a 'permanent capitalism' in our own consciousness,

I think the new US regime will force us to face the fact that there are MANY many deep onion-skinned levels to the affects of 'permanent capitalism' in our self-systems...  (for example, what is consumer capitalism "with a friendly face?")

Jh