[iDC] MySpace staff cuts

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 16:51:09 UTC 2009

Dear Andreas,

Thanks for the calculation and reminding us that indeed, the internet and its services rests on a costly social and private infrastructure.

But I would also suggest that one of the reasons that platforms like Google and YouTube costs a lot of money is because of the choice of highly centralized and controlled infrastructures, which requires a high treshold of capital outlays and therefore serves as a competitive advantage.

Perhaps if some of the companies went bankrupt in the future (as many web 2.0 services have already done), the hacker community would discover that they could be rebuilt as truly distributed networks, thereby distributing the costs as well. In this way, like the Wikipedia and Linux production, the private interests would become substantially more periferal and the relative power of the community relatively stronger,

Michel