[iDC] Michael Jackson and the death of macrofame

Christian Fuchs christian.fuchs at sbg.ac.at
Mon Jul 6 09:58:49 UTC 2009

i agree that class positions become more flexible, but nonetheless think
that a difference between capitalist and proletariat can be maintained.
precarious self-employed persons in one-man companies are also in a way
forced to sell their labour by contract. knowledge workers - control of
means of production: if they work for a wage, then they do not control
the product of their work, the central aspectof exploitation is surplus
value production, not the control of the means of production. if workers
are manipulated, have a right-wing consciousness, or  consciousness that
displays mimesis with bourgeois consciousness - then you can doubt that
they are in control of their brains as means of production - their
brains are being controlled by alien forces, ideology is an important
aspect of contemporary production. "knowledge work" as such is not a
class, it just describes a kind of occupation, also most of what factory
owners do is knowledge production. For Marx, work was the production of
use-values and labour the process of value creation (Capital, Volume 1,
chapter 7). Capitalists that produce knowledge create use values that
are necessary for organizing exploitation, they do not create value, but
exploit value, whereas knowledge labour creates surplus value. It most
be possible to make a certain theoretical distinctions between
exploiters and the exploited in the production process, otherwise all
must be considered as one mass of "knowledge workers" and no critical
approach is possible any longer, which then implies that no exploitation
exists today. In my book "Internet and Society", I have reflected on the
relationship of knowledge and class in chapter 7.3. arguing that
knowledge production in one sense is not a process of class formation,
whereas in another sense it is (knowledge work as non-class and class).

Christian