[iDC] Michael Jackson and the death of macrofame

Stephen Downes stephen at downes.ca
Mon Jul 6 22:28:41 UTC 2009

I'm familiar with Barabasi's argument. The point of the book is that
networks that grow through preferential attachment will exhibit a
certain type of hub-like structure. This is something that can happen
naturally, and it can also happen by design. Barabasi doesn't suggest it
must be one or the other.

Typically, though, he writes, there is an upper limit in such naturally
occurring hub networks. A tree trunk can only be so much larger than the
branches - and not millions of times larger. Similar limits exist in
many human created hub networks. O'Hare may be much larger than a small
airfield, but not millions of times larger. You can't put that many
planes in the air - there's a physical limit.

In networks we create, scale-free networks, however, there are no such
limits. Virtually nothing prevents a person from amassing a wealth
millions of times greater than a pauper. A broadcaster can have millions
of times more listeners than a non-broadcaster. The only limits are
almost meaningless - the total amount of money available, the total
number of humans in a population.

So I reach the opposite conclusion from Barabasi. The existence of an
essentially scale-free network implies the existence of a business
strategy of some sort - implies, in other words, the creation of
policies which tend toward hub-style networks. The creation of a
citation network, for example, just *is* an example of such a thing. We
have a mechanism for creating value, the citation. Why is the citation
valued? Well, for one thing, because it creates a preferential
attachment - which in itself benefits the publishers and authors of
those previous publications - who, not coincidentally, are exactly the
people who establish and propagate the practice of citation.

The practice of citation is as much (if not more so) a *business* logic
as an academic one. It is about assigning ownership and credit for ideas
- assignments of values. This *business* logic has so permeated existing
academic culture it is (almost) thought of as an academic virtue. But
(in most uses) it has no particular academic virtue at all - a citation
is rarely (except in exegesis) used as a form of evidence or argument,
and almost exclusively as a means of distributing some sort of academic
currency.

 > It just means that it won't eliminate inequality, hubs,
concentrations, celebrity, or power-law distributions.

I never said it would. But, all in all, even a little reduction in
inequality results in a great increase in health and happiness. And a
lot of reduction would be epoch-making. I'll take whatever reduction I
can get.

And, actually, what I was advocating was not so much the frontal
blunt-force tactic of "opposition to centralized content management is
unwarranted" (though that is certainly the desired outcome) but rather
the more subtle tactic of identifying and altering business logics and
policies that create growth through preferential attachment.

-- Stephen