[iDC] Exploitation...

John Hopkins jhopkins at tech-no-mad.net
Tue Jul 7 13:47:41 UTC 2009

Lilly Irani wrote:
> Thanks for posting this, Trebor. Txteagle gave me a bit of a start when I
> read about it. I'eve never read anything about it that talks about the
> laborers and their economic contexts in specific terms. As with many of
> these development-at-mega-scale "innovations," supposed beneficiaries are
> painted in broad, "third world" brush strokes.

And note that in the example given, all flows (of attention and power)
results.  The results being a system for life-time-harvesting as well as
a system of standardization which forces all users to 'speak Nokia's
language' -- so, not only to create value for and give power to Nokia,
but to alter the users intrinsically idiosyncratic expressions to the
world into a form that is acceptable to Nokia.  The entire techno-social
system does this.  Adopt or be marginalized (or punished) by that system...

jh