[iDC] "recursive publics"

David M. Berry D.M.Berry at swansea.ac.uk
Fri Jul 10 14:21:06 UTC 2009

A useful way to reconceptualise the debate and avoid the problems of a
metaphysical concept like 'justice' is to think in terms of assembling
or making, that is of justification. Here a useful discussion of this as
a way of reconceptualising Michael Walzer's notion of 'Spheres of
Justice' is in Boltanski and Thevenot (2006) /On Justification:
Economies of Worth/. They use the notion of six 'cities' (renamed
'worlds' in Boltanski and Chiapello (2007) /The New Spirit of
Capitalism/) and discuss the way in which different 'cities' construct
different notions of how a justification is made and with reference to
what (in this case 'tests of worth'). The six cities are civic, market,
inspired, fame, industrial, and domestic, and they are legitimated
through a range of tests that orient the actors towards a notion of the
common good (that is, the common good within the discursive framework of
a particular city/world). They later add a seventh city/world, the
'projective world' in /The New Spirit of Capitalism/, which is
particularly relevant to the kinds of discussions taking place on this
list. What is key, I think, about this conceptualisation is that these
city/worlds exist simultaneously and are in constant tension with each
other, so that actors are continually mobilising different worlds, and
attempting to undermine alternative justifications in order to deploy
and stabilise particular projects.

A good example might be the way in which free software advocates use the
notion of a 'civic world' (e.g. citizenship, community) against
notionally similar actors in the open-source movement who tend towards
an 'industrial world' for justification (e.g. productivity, efficiency),
which is in contrast to Creative Commons which tends towards
justification based on a projective world (e.g. flexible networks,
projects). As these city/worlds are based on tests of worth, they must
constantly be renewed and reapplied (in a recursive sense) and this
gives a dynamic to the process of justification, and (argue Boltanski
and Thevenot) a dynamic to capitalism which requires justification in
some form of another (a la Weber) to operate successfully. What is
fascinating about this approach is that it does not assume a hegemonic
form of ideology, nor a homogenous group acceptance, rather the process
of justification is a process of building alliances around the
acceptance and performance of tests -- which really reminds me of the
example of David Clark's phrase 'We reject: kings, presidents and
voting. We believe in: rough consensus and running code', in other words
the 'test of worth' of functioning software together with the witnessing
of that performance which will give a technical consensus to the
solution to a (usually) technical problem. This I think helps unpacks
the notion of 'justice' within particular spheres and allows us to look
for moments when a test is being made, and whether that test has
legitimacy and is accepted by the participants.

David

Dean, Jodi wrote:
> Jodi says:
>      Another way to put this: the justice of the market is not the same as political justice.
>
> Chris replies:
>
> okay, i'll bite, what is the difference?
>

> Jodi:
>
> in a market, the agreement of buyer and seller makes something just; this is understood as price (under the assumption that markets achieve equilibrium).
>
> there are different versions of political justice. some of these versions meet up and conflict with price, so:
>
> --justice requires that some things not be sold, that some things have no price
> --justice requires an equal outcome
> --justice requires participation in the constitution of the site of exchange
> --justice requires basic conditions that come prior to exchange
> --justice requires mindfulness of the long term/future generations
>
> with the last one, we get into different kinds of justice
> --justice in rectifications
> --justice in the distribution of responsibilities and rights
> --the characteristics of just laws and procedures

Dr David M. Berry

Media and Communications Department
School of Arts
University of Wales Swansea