[iDC] The internet that is not one

Dmitry Strakovsky dima at shiftingplanes.org
Mon Jul 13 06:03:43 UTC 2009

Andreas' comment here refers to "proper technological" definition of a
network he is describing. TCP/IP (the underlying protocol) works
pretty much the same if you have two machines connected or two
billion.  On top of this protocol you can design an incredible variety
of network scenarios i.e. twitter with centralized servers or
bittorent's p2p scheme.

I believe that most discussions has been focused on mobile phones +
several of these higher level networks/services (like e-mail.) What is
rather interesting in this thread is the fact that the folks who came
up with the term "internet" or "internetwork"  (strictly referring to
TCP/IP based communications,) no longer control the use of the word.
It simply became synonymous with "connectedness" regardless of
technological means of delivery which themselves disappeared from our
social space. What I think might be worth further investigation is
this promise and need for invisibility that has been a part of the
development of digital communication technologies.

I suspect that this is due to the process of abstraction which is at
the core of software development-> we build computer language
libraries on top of libraries in order to shorten certain tasks,
effectively rendering the core technologies invisible (anyone here
programs in assembly?) Interfaces (APIs, GUIs) complete the task: both
the programmer and her audience are always removed from the object
they are manipulating.  The discursive constructs do not, and I
believe cannot,  mirror the underlying technologies because there are
multiple layers of abstraction between them. Here is where we really
get to the multiple internets :) or multiple discursive threads that
all claim the lineage under the guise of different interfaces.

																	dima