[iDC] iDC Digest, Vol 55, Issue 31

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sun Jul 19 22:09:31 UTC 2009

Jonathan, your response is brilliant - I mean that in all honesty, some-
thing to be pondered and thought and rethought. It raised nothing more
than questions at my end, which I think to pose, not having answers, or
having ones that only 'work' for me.

Is there a media theory, or media theories? Must a media theory be
_responsive_ to anything in particular or at all? Does any theory _have_
to be anything in particular? Must a theory be 'critical of its conditions
of emergence'? Certainly relativity theory is, to take another example but
I can also see a certain wisdom in ignoring what might amount to a
misreognition of historicity. I think a speaking subject carries a
problematic of essentialism and authenticity, in general; in the case of
theorizing, it seems somehow 'stronger.' Need avatar or picture carry
such? At times it seems to me an avatar is 'diacritical' or at best a
floating signifier; this is an issue in relation to Scott's and Patrick's
considerations of labor in Second Life. (Perhaps in other words, is the
virtual virtual?) I'm drawn personally to considerations of exploitation:
what is going on, world-wide, is horrifying, and with all the theory I've
read (perhaps not enough), I do not understand it; at this point
exploitation is so tied into networking on one hand and global ecological
issues on the other, that it's hard (for me) to get a handle on it. The
question here is - How do you teach these issues, in such a manner that
students or others in general are motivated? How do you avoid coccooning
on one hand and catatonia on the other? Re: The condition of philosophy:
How is this the condition of philosophy generally? There are also
philosophies of withdrawal, of course, opening space for thought in
environments that are inherently thoughtless. Is society hierarchical?
Perhaps collocations, holarchic might be a better description? One issue I
try to deal with, which is literally alien to this discussion but perhaps
relevant (from a viewpoint deliberately cutting itself off) is that of
contemporary physics/cosmology - I'm not referring to science as ideology
or the political economy of research (say the LHC), but the models
emerging/competing - multiverse, noncommutative geometries, the
holographic universe, string theory/branes, quantum and other logics,
spinors, etc. - and the matheses related to this: how to make sense of a
world which, no matter which model subsumes the others, is alien to such a
degree that models are abstracted _without_ representation or visualiza-
tion? I wonder if a theory need even be experimentally testable; certainly
there are reasons to think otherwise - so that a certain kind of founda-
tion assumed all along (just as Kuhn's paradigm was assumed for decades
and is now questionable) might be just another chimera.
In which case where does any theory of media reside? Certainly within and
without labor, but also within and without theories of perception that, it
seems to be, are themselves tottering - just as perception itself might be
considered tottering. (On another scale, what does it mean to 'perceive
Tweeter'? What is the 'labor of Tweeter'? Where is the 'intellectual prop-
erty of Tweeter'? I know these are the wrong questions - but then what
does happen to the categories we're familiar with?)
Can you say more about the 'theories of cognitive capitalism' and/or point
me to a source on this? It's of great interest. -
Again, I want to thank you because your response is thought out in a
manner that, for me, goes beyond this statement/text/whatever, and applies
to utterance in general.

yours, Alan