[iDC] Introduction: The Internet as Playground and Factory

Joe Edelman joe.edelman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 21:29:42 UTC 2009

I thought I'd chime in a response to Frank, Trebor, and Howard about
this stuff.

For me, it's about power.  Are these corporations giving private
individuals, especially the disempowered in society, more power to
change their communities and circumstances, or are they taking it
away.  And how do these power dynamics compare to what governments,
nonprofits, art projects, universities, and other non-commerce
organizations are doing?

While this Web 2.0 stuff is certainly not a panacea, it's clear to me
that social websites are having a profound and positive effect on
personal empowerment.  Universities, who have long claimed to elevate
and connect through scholarships and the like, are closed to most
participants, and can take six years and a great deal of expense to
effect the same power shift that can be accomplished by a disempowered
group on facebook or twitter in a few weeks.  The U.S. government this
year is distributing more economic power via grants than usual, but it
is hard to see exactly how this is panning out and who is benefiting.
Art projects sometimes pretend to talk about power but very seldom do
anything to shift or expand it.

Cautiously, I have to admin these corporate endeavors are doing better
than most social justice related nonprofits, and better than the
public school system, at slowly leveling the playing field.  We have
seen the ubiquitous availability of information, and the empowerment
that that brought, and we are now moving slowly toward the ubiquitous
availability of social connection.  I won't rest until we get to the
ubiquitous availability of physical resources like cars and trucks,
the availability of labor and in-person expertise, and ultimately the
availability of cash... to those who do not presently have access to
these things.

In the end, such an empowered, connected citizenry may well be bad
news for the advertising sector and for large corporations:  certainly
a lot of advertising and consumerism prays on isolation and
disempowerment.  But that's not going to stop internet companies, many
of them funded by advertising, from bringing us that future.

Indeed, it seems well on it's way, and I'm doing my part to keep it
going in that direction.

--
J.E. // nxhx.org // (c) 413.250.8007