[iDC] Introduction: The Internet as Playground and Factory

pat kane playethical at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 17:49:14 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm Pat Kane, I've also been invited by Trebor to kick off and
develop some of the discussions arount the nature, pleasure and pains
of "digital labor", leading up to the NY conference in November. I'm
a rights-holding musician, writer and consultant, and author of The
Play Ethic (http://www.theplayethic.com).

In terms of a debate about whether users' interactivity with net
platforms is a form of exploitation of labor (in the Marxist sense),
I'm aware that I might be living a somewhat schizophrenic life. In
one domain, I'm a working musician who is part of a UK "legacy" act
from the 80's, Hue And Cry. Since our relaunch in late 2008, our
strategy has been to use the enthusiasm of online fandom to reanimate
our "brand", by using flexible and media-rich social networks
(particularly Ning) to capture the passions raised both by our live
performance, and other traditional outlets of media exposure (radio,
TV, press).

In these sites – particularly the Music Club, at http://
hueandcry.ning.com - we actively encourage and facilitate all kinds
of 'fan labor' (cultural note: our biggest hit was called "Labour of
Love" in 1987, more inspired by Gramsci than Bateson). This can
include: cam-phone audio-visual recording from gigs; giving fans the
opportunity to suggest and vote on songs they'd like us to perform
and record; allowing fans to upload their own covers of our songs.
But this doesn't include a lot of emergent, spontaneous activity that
comes from the users' own ability to generate sub-networks and forums
of their own, within the Hue And Cry Music Club site. We don't charge
subscription fees to the site (like many other bands), and we have a
programme of regular updates of audio-visual content produced by my
musical partner and I – again, freely streamed.

There's much to say about this experience – which I hope to share at
the NY conference in November. But in terms of kicking off this
debate, the core point might be that our presumption has been that
we're dealing with a radically counter-commercial audience and
environment – one in which digital networked distribution of music
has driven its price point to effectively zero, and in which that
music has almost become a kind of 'community currency'. By that I
mean a system of exchange whose value accumulation is fan enthusiasm
and commitment, rather than straightforward monetary rent from IP-
identified saleable objects. (Although as Spotify, Last.fm and other
outfits show, a licensing system may be a possible recommodifier of
music consuming habits, though with the pressure of 'free' keeping
overall revenue much lower than the heydays of CD sales).

So in terms of making a living, we have fallen upon the maxim "use
what is ubiquitous to drive people to what is scarce" – ie use the
ubiquity and free circulation of digital content to raise awareness
about those real-world moments of spatio-temporal enclosure (the gig,
the meet'n'greet, the music workshop) whose boundaries can be
controlled, and thus commodified. (Our refinement on that is to
create our own 'ubiquitous' commons of Hue And Cry music within the
Music Club – 'reterritorialising', to no doubt misuse Deleuze, the
deterritorialised flows of digital culture). It's not that we don't
try to sell recordings anymore – we do, and we are doing so, though
the objects these recordings are attached to are way beyond the old
CD, and are more lifestyle/luxury products with music inserted, an
extension of our "brand" across non-musical physical objects. But our
working presumption is that recorded music, because of digitisation,
networks and their innovations, is always under a huge gravitational
force dragging it towards free usage.

And just to be clear, I come at the question of what value is being
realised by commercial platform owners by the free labor of users
from a small-business perspective – as artists seeking some kind of
income from our endeavours and enterprises. We are rights-holders in
our own small company, who seek to use non-commercial, part-
commercial (the usual social platforms) and fully-commercial (ie
larger distributors and syndicators) networks to promote our music,
both recorded and performed.

Commercially, I should be agnostic-ironic about what networks are
best for that purpose. But civically, I'm a supporter of the
'innovation commons' of the Net a la Lessig, and would resist any
attempt to tamper with the basic end-to-end architecture of the Web
(ie, to create tiers of net access with protocols restricted, for
whatever reason). I guess I have to stake out my petit-bourgeois,
mixed-economy, social-democrat traders' identity at the beginning.
And what I'm looking for from a conference/discussion on 'the
internet and playground and factory' is a new political economy of
the Net that can find a place for creative and sustainable cultural
enterprise, within this complex landscape (as Yochai Benkler says in
the Wealth of Networks) of market, state and 'sharing' economies. I
feel that the answers may lie as much in welfare and social policy.
That is, what kind of social provisions and support can be made for a
'general intellect' now active throughout society, as the Italian
Marxists say? Does a four day week or a citizens' income more
effectively answer our anxieties about our affective and cognitive
'lives' pouring into these networks, than a discourse about how our
free labor benefits Google's bottom line?

Pat Kane
http://theplayethic.com/patkane
Twitter: theplayethic

Ideas: