[iDC] Introduction: The Internet as Playground and Factory

ursula endlicher ue at ursenal.net
Wed Jun 10 03:36:37 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Trebor asked me to introduce myself to this list.
I'd like to start with a few words about my work.

I am Ursula Endlicher, and I am an artist working
on the intersection of Internet, performance and
installation.
In my work I am using the Web's structures and
grammars, foremost HTML code of specific
Websites, to choreograph performances. The chosen
Websites I have used so far in the performance
series "Website Impersonations: The Ten Most
Visited" have been facebook, myspace, wikipedia,
to name just a few.

In these performances I am using participatory
databases - the html-movement-library(ies) which
collect user submitted videos (online) or texts
(while on stage/online) - to co-choreograph the
show.
The videos and texts in the library are showing
or describing how HTML tags could look when
performed through movement. (In order to come up
with a movement, users, dancers, performers are
encouraged to read more about it at
http://turbulence.org/works/html_butoh to find
out which functionality each tag serves in a
browser and how to parallel this to physical
movement.)

So in my performances, dancers, audience and Web
code together influence the course of the live
show.

Here are some links/documentation movies to previous performances:

Website Impersonation of facebook:
http://www.ursenal.net/wi_ttmv/index8.html
-- and a direct link to a docu-movie about it:
http://www.ursenal.net/wi_ttmv/index8facebookmovie.html

Website Impersonation of Wikipedia.org:
http://www.ursenal.net/wi_ttmv/index6.html
-- and a direct link to a docu-movie about it:
http://www.ursenal.net/wi_ttmv/index6wikimovie.html

More of my work:
http://www.ursenal.net/

I am very much looking forward to participating
in this already exciting discussion, triggered by
Trebor's text and questions about labor and
Internet, leading up to the conference. Topics
such as user participation, privacy, online
personae (this comes back to me as a topic,
differently though to how I was  interested in it
in the late 1990-ies),  pseudonyms versus "real'"
names, and "behavior" online and its possible
effect on offline actions, are among the issues
which have an impact on my work, and which I'd
like to further investigate and share with this
list.

Looking forward to moreŠ

Ursula