[iDC] Introduction: The Internet as Playground and Factory

Joe Edelman joe.edelman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 14:29:16 UTC 2009

Trebor, Michel,

I'd be curious what you think of The Extraordinaries (beextra.org),
which is similar to mechanical turk, but exclusively for nonprofit use?

Is the thing we call exploitation or expropriation about capital?  Or
is it about control? (The strategies of large nonprofits are no more
democratically controlled than those of large corporations; even large
member coops and democratic nations can only be vaguely said to be
controlled by the people.)  Or is it about connection?  For me it's
the later:  if you meet people while you work, and those social
connections can help you accomplish changing in your community and
personal life, cross class boundaries, etc, that's a good thing.

So when I look at Mechanical Turk, what I see a way to bring tens of
thousands together without introducing themselves or making any kind
of real, helpful connection.  Which is, indeed, dystopian and scary.
But Wikipedia and the Obama SMS campaign have this problem to some
extent too.  Facebook Groups and Twitter.. less so!

--
J.E. // nxhx.org // (c) 413.250.8007