[iDC] Introduction: The Internet as Playground and Factory

davin heckman davinheckman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 18:14:14 UTC 2009

I agree with you, actually.  (Which is why I am on this list.  I do
not know any of the people face to face, but I do feel a strong sense
of affection and solidarity, especially when exchanges get personal
and force us to be present, responsible, and accountable to each
other).

I think, however, that the prerequisite for strong online organization
is successful experience to some physical experience.  I am skeptical
about the idea online activism could precede "live" activism.  A
large, diverse, and successful political action is a very hard thing
to pull off....  and the rewards are often realized in subtle ways...
especially if you "lose."  The sense of danger, the feelings of
dependence, the way in which individual limitations are transcended
through solidarity, and how disappointments lead to other positives.

But through all this you learn how to be an activist.  It changes who
you are, becomes a part of your being.  (And in a small community,
especially, it marks you as a particular kind of person, which has its
downsides, but also ups the ante in a good way.)  And, then you kind
of have to seek other people out and connect with them....  which is
where, I think, social media comes in.

Peace!
Davin