[iDC] "How (bravely) the mammet twitters!”

john sobol john at johnsobol.com
Thu Jun 18 12:48:47 UTC 2009

Hi Ulises and all...

On 18-Jun-09, at 7:36 AM, Ulises Mejias wrote:

> John,
>
> Thank you for your comments. But are we perhaps confusing the
> finger for the thing it is pointing at?

Not at all, as we shall see...

> What is remarkable about the events in Iran is that people have
> taken to the streets to challenge an illegitimate election. The
> fact that some people are using Twitter to disseminate the news
> about the events, by-passing traditional media, is important but
> has little to do with what has motivated the Iranian youth to take
> to the streets.

Well, motivation is a funny thing. On a very practical level, a
message received indicating the otherwise unknown time and place of a
popular protest, delivered via a mechanism that is inherently
secretive and scalable such that the receiver knows that hundreds and
thousands of others nearby are receiving the same message, may in
fact be the vital trigger that 'motivates' someone to overcome fear
and or/inertia to leave their home and try to fulfill a collective
destiny in a repressive and risky context.

Though if you think you are telling anyone anything they don't know
by pointing out that such transmissions are the result of a series of
complex social events, and are happening as part of a vast web of
personal emotions and socio-political dynamics, then you are mistaken.

> Twitter is not what has made or will make this movement successful,
> although not surprisingly, we in the West have reframed this
> uprising to be all about us: it's about how *we* get the
> information, and about the 'revolutionary' potential of our latest
> technological gadgets (potential that always seems somehow to elude
> us here at home, unfortunately). Already the Internet is awash with
> opinions from Web 2.0 gurus about how Iran is the Twitter
> revolution (much like Estonia was the Facebook revolution, some
> other place was the YouTube Revolution, and so on). Maybe it's just
> me, but I find this kind of technophilic argument reductionist and
> self-serving. Please give people, not corporate tools, their due
> credit.

I fail to see how I was not giving people credit in my response
(rejecting as it did your insistence that twitterers are engaged in
sub-human activity that can never contribute to achieving social
equality) by choosing to celebrate human agency and courage.

Also, Obama's election was in fact a kind of web-fuelled social
revolution. It is maybe not the revolution 'you' want, but it is the
one millions did, so if we are talking about not giving people credit
I think you might start there.

> Having said that, I also don't want to pretend that new
> technologies don't matter. I find Naeem Mohaiemen's piece on the
> Iranian protests quite insightful:
>
> "The Iranian state is getting desperate, and tries to throttle
> internet traffic, block SMS flow, scramble satellite TV feeds. But
> every few seconds there is a twitter giving new proxy addresses
> that can be accessed from inside Iran. Even with net speed down to
> a crawl, activists keep pushing information through. We will bypass
> all filters."
> http://unheardvoice.net/blog/2009/06/17/iran-filters/
>
> Previously, Naeem says, "protests fade as the government waits
> until protestors are exhausted." Now, perhaps, Twitter keeps the
> momentum going. But let's not pretend that this is the kind of
> effect sociable media is intended to have on the masses.

This is, I am afraid, laughable. Who in the world uses terms like
'masses' anymore, or thinks that it could be relevant? And who thinks
that the inventors of Twitter sat down and calculated the 'effect' it
was going to have on the 'masses', in the way you mean it? Give me a
break.

And if as you acknowledge, Twitter 'keeps the momentum going', unlike
failed revolts of the past, does this not seem rather significant? !!!

> The fact that all we can do is consume tweets about what is
> *happening* elsewhere is an indication of how the system is really
> supposed to work.

As your own quote by Naeem above points out, this is not what is
happening. In fact there is a feedback loop of immense energy in play
involving thousands of people in Iran and around the world, who are
actively sharing information to and for each other, including
redirecting news from Iran back into Iran via external agents, both
corporate and atomic, to support the street-level actions. (props to
Huffington Post!)

> *We* (who failed to organize any kind of reaction against our own
> election fraud) are the mammets, not the people who--out of
> necessity or choice--revert back to the unmediated action of their
> bodies.

Maybe so, maybe so. Or maybe we, by participating in this techno-
social network, are, like our brave cousins, something more, rather
than something less.

Cheers,
John