[iDC] blogs, twitter, aphasia, speech

Dean, Jodi JDEAN at hws.edu
Fri Jun 19 22:06:39 UTC 2009

A couple of folks have warned against installing an intentionality or an agent (big Other) operating behind or within networked communications. This is ostensibly a problem for a couple of
reasons:

1.  it's inaccurate (and thus obfuscates a more complex reality)

2.  it's politically harmful (because it can make people give up)

Clarification and obfuscation are 2 sides of the same coin--some elements are brought into focus, others fade into the background. And, inseparable from each are elements of imagination, that
is, suppositions that go in different directions. Basing one's critical energies around getting the most accuracy, the most information, is like the trap of the poor guy in Synecdoche, NY.

I say this because it could be productive to think in terms of a monolithic conspiracy operating behind the scenes: what would it take to subvert
or escape it? Does imagining such a force make opposition harder than if one imagines a complex multiplicity of forever undecideable and changeable nodes and paths? Why?

If one proceeds as if evil bad guys devised a system to capture attention and energy, and that made this capture totally enjoyable, that made it seem like power (empowerment)
when it wasn't, when it actually was providing free labor and content for the bad guys, what would follow? What sorts of tactics of evasion? What sort of alternatives not just for playing at
resistance but from over-throwing the bad guys would emerge? Would one be able to discern the ways what appears as a radical practice in one setting is a precursor to more entrapment in another
setting, that is, is confined with a view that can only imagine within the terms of entrapment?

Additional thoughts on some of the political points raised in the discussion:

--that Obama won was in no way a revolution; there is nothing surprising about the Democratic candidate beating the Republican candidate in the wake of an unpopular Republican president
and an economic meltdown;

--folks in the US should be mindful of election-contestation envy

Jodi