[iDC] Introduction: The Internet as Playground and Factory

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 21 04:20:46 UTC 2009

Hi David,

I agree with you that a lot of online organizing is weak, especially on the sharing as opposed to the peer producing platforms, and they are mostly entertainment oriented.

But in situations of seriousness, such as Iran, which has been extensively discussed here, who would suggest that opponents of the regime should leave the monopoly to the state media, and to not counter such claims by alternative evidence distributed by any means at their disposal as well as a tool for interconnection and mobilization? Of course there is hype, the 'twitter revolution' but the opposite point of view seems equally fruitless.

My point is, the powers that be have had networks for 40 years, and used them to the full extent, and now that broader society has access to it, should we just leave it and not use it, these are tools, important and crucial tools in any struggle, nothing more, nothing less.

At the same time, the fact of using them creates all kinds of new societal logics, new patterns of activity and organizing, which I'm suggesting can be connected, and form the basis of a new overall way of interconnecting such patterns, i.e. the seed of a fundamentally different way of organizing social life.

There is another point I find very important. It is important to be critical and aware, to 'deconstruct', but this only takes us so far. When the Greeks have finished rioting, what is left if no alternatives are constructed that are sustainable and can be interconnected? I think this is something that some in the new generations have well understood, they are far less under the spell of the system that most of their leftist teachers imagine them to be, and interested in constructing new lives and new relationships. Why not accompany them in these efforts and when they encounter the limits of the system, help them realize more quickly that there is indeed a 'beyond' ... and that in the end, only this 'beyond' can really guarantee the success of their aims born in the new structure of desire ...

Michel