[iDC] some thoughts on digital labor and populations

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 21 09:15:11 UTC 2009

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for that input.

I think there are two issues that help answer whether or not the internet induces change, and these are speed and transaction/coordination costs.

If two parties are competing and in conflict, and one can act in a more speedy fashion, it will win; the other is transaction costs: the parties that can afford the investment in speed and communication vs. those that cannot.  I think this is why, after tribal times, organized nations could beat tribes; and capitalist markets could win out from centralized planning. I'm convinced by the Dunbar numbers: no human brain can organize more than 150 relationships so that any community that exceeds those numbers reverts to hierarchical simplification, which allows it to organize on a larger scale; he also refers to 500 as the limit to which a community cannot self-reproduce without strong and stable hierarchy.

This is the fundamental change that I see, and which I have called Peak Hierarchy, because of the dramatic fall in transaction/coordination costs, it is now possible to coordinate global projects without  centralized command and control, and the wikipedia and free software and now the open design communities are testimony to this possibility; not only can they do it, but they can do it better and faster. When I started working in my 20's, there was very little I could do outside of the work environment in terms of translocal communication, knowledge building and cooperative design, now the situation has reversed, it is almost universally possible to do more outside of the corporate frameworks than inside of them. The institutions and corporations have become a drag.

This situation of asymmetric competition between distribution and hierarchical/corporate institutions create interesting dynamics. One is that communities try to operate outside of those limitations, and the other is that the older forms try to adapt and recuperate the new potential. To retain control they use all kinds of protocollary power, which steers the new forms of social cooperation into a framework that benefits them.

This to me then is the interesting future bifurcation: either a incorporation of the new in the old system, or a phase transition towards some new type of arrangement where the new 'peer to peer' logic becomes central.

Historically, before such phase transitions have occured, the new always started by strenghtening the old, i.e. the use of coloni strengthening the survival of the old Roman system, the capitalist innovations strengthening the feudal system, etc ... However, the paradox is that by using these new forms, they eventually ended up strengthening them, and being replaced by them.

You may of course say that autonomy is all but impossible, and I would agree if you define it as an absolute, at the same time, it is undeniable that peer producing communities are emerging and that they are seeking the best ways to reproduce themselves and remain sustainable and protect their core 'peer to peer' logic of collaboration. The way they do this now is by adapting to the mainstream society, by allying themselves with corporate players, creating hybrid realities. This is the new form of core struggle that will determine the shape of the new social formations that are being born in this transitional time.

Michel