[iDC] MySpace staff cuts

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Wed Jun 24 16:08:31 UTC 2009

I¹ve not been following this thread really so not sure if it has been
mentioned, but the Apple App Store is possibly an example of a context where
at least a small percentage of active ³workers² are able to get a financial
return on the value of their labour. Two things though. Firstly, most iPhone
Apps make little or no money. Secondly, the model employed here is, at least
in the case of sole author¹s of applications (or small collective teams),
that of the worker as producer and owner of the product. They are both the
labour and the capital. The author, worker and IP owner are all the same
person. That is why I placed the term worker in quotes. Apple then takes a
cut as a dealer. They do not own the IP.

I am not seeking to promote this model. There is still plenty about it that
is questionable. But to some degree it does borrow some interesting elements
from collectivism and sole/small-trader and author model. Ultimately though
the creators of App Store product are free to organise themselves as they
wish ­ they can choose this apporach, or that which is more common in the
corporate world. I doubt that presents Apple as a value free portal
though...

Regards

Simon

Simon Biggs