[iDC] Alternatives to black-box page-rank algorithm (was conference summary part 2: the internet as playground and factory)

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 09:51:33 UTC 2009

Hi Frank,

I fully support your quest on finding ways for 'civil' control over
the information gathering giants like Google.  I think it is important
to check all the possibilities - and your proposal to use a 'trusted
advisory committee' and analogy to law that 'allow trade secrets in
litigation to be reviewed' was surprising to my mind of an engineer,
but I wanted to put forward one potential problem with such a solution
- it amounts to the fact that deciding why a particular output
appeared on a Google search page means debugging the Google algorithm
together with the state of it's database which is huge and changes
constantly.   I would imagine that this is already a hard task for
Google programmers and it is possible that they need to do some
up-front work, i.e. saving a part of the engine state to do that (and
this can be a part of the answer why they don't want to discuss that)
- and it would be nearly impossible to do that with outside forces and
with the level of certainty required by a law proceeding.  But it is
entirely possible that we could force Google to make such an
investigation possible.

At the current stage I think we could also appeal to the "Don't be
evil" corporate motto of Google.  They used it to gather peoples trust
- now it is time that the people check if Google stick to it.