[iDC] Just Say Adorno

Julian Dibbell julian.dibbell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 20:08:35 UTC 2009

Ayhan:

Ah, yes, Jin Ge! He of course was how I got to those gold farms in the
first place. They were the same ones he filmed in his documentary
(alas unfinished, but available in bits and pieces on his website[1]),
and he was incredibly generous not only in sharing access to them but
with his time and expertise, joining me on my visits and interpreting
throughout. Interestingly, though, our interactions on those visits
were precisely a case in point of the kinds of intercultural layerings
I mentioned in my last message. Jin Ge was born and raised in
Shanghai, but he's not a gamer and wasn't as versed in the intricacies
of World of Warcraft as I and the gold-farm workers were, so there
were a number of curiously triangulated moments where he'd be
struggling to translate some WoW-related phrase or concept and I would
suggest an educated guess, see it confirmed by our interviewee, and
then proceed to translate its context-specific meanings and
implications back to my translator!

Which isn't to say I didn't learn a lot from Jin Ge's interviews with
the hostile American players you mention. But again, I think it helps
to keep the whole range of relevant cultural contexts in mind. In his
essay "Yi-Shan-Guan,"[2] games researcher Nick Yee, for instance, does
a nice job of connecting WoW player attitudes to the absolutely
relevant history of U.S. anti-Chinese sentiment, particularly the
tropes of "extermination," "vermin," and so forth that met Chinese
immigrant workers during and after the 19th-century California gold
rush and get echoed in player-made videos of gold-farmer killing
parties[3]. But unless you know more about how the game works than any
non-player should be asked to, I think it's easy to be taken in by the
bravado of these player vigilantes and conclude that their in-game
violence is anything more than symbolic. They in fact know better than
anyone that "ganking" a gold farmer's character only passingly
disrupts his work and isn't even game-mechanically possible except on
the minority of WoW servers where nonconsensual player-versus-player
killing is permitted. As for the gold-farm workers I talked to about
this, their complaints about the gankings framed them not as material
threats to their livelihood but as personal insults to their status in
the game. They saw themselves as fellow players and wanted to be
accepted, and treated, as such. (And for this reason, at least, most
were fortunate they didn't speak English: Minutes into my own farming
shift, my character was "spat on" by a Western player using the
text-generating /spit command and further treated to a series of
floridly abusive free-form "whisper" messages. Yay.)

All of which, again, is just to highlight the importance of reading
culture -- and cultures -- from as close to the perspective of their
inhabitants as you can get.

Julian

[1] http://chinesegoldfarmers.com/
[2] http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archives/001493.php
[3] See, e.g., "Chinese Farmer Extermination":
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/chinese-farmer-extermination/4021