[iDC] The difference between privacy and anonymity

naxsmash naxsmash at mac.com
Sat Oct 3 20:08:25 UTC 2009

Wondering:  in agon/antagon relationships => 'basic political issues'
we have no (?) basis to ask how or if this is a knowledge domain, or
space of essential characteristics?  Jodi writes:

-snip-

>> Why? Because there are no
>> ontologically given 'basic political issues.' Rather, the claim for
>> issues is political, which means divisive and antagonistic, part of
>> a stand for
>> and against.

-snip-

Just trying to get a grip on this I am asking,

1is an 'antagonistic part of a stand for and against'  equal to a
condition(space) precluding existential claims about itself--could we
imagine it's just an on/off switch=== relational dynamic presumably a
formal jerk-off ?

2 Is the 'polis' is no place other than a division or boundary between
relational adversaries?

3 Is the  polis-space sort of like a  line, not a volume-- more
vividly, a violent-boundary: -like the national borders across which
the  so called illegal trafficking occurs, or through which the
impoverished migrant laborers are forced back 'home'?

If so, then could one conclude that to exclude ontology from political
issues is to go to these two points?----

  A  No politique-- and in the material world, physical violence
attendant thereupon--  can be legitimized as even partially true or
described formally as a series of meaningful relations ? (=attain a
positive value or positive marker) AS opposition (antigon) As such?

   B The agon stands for nothing except in reflection (mirroring)  his/
her not-agon, her 'whatever singularity'.  (A nonagon or
nanogon? )_?   (......whoa, ....watch the antagonist
dissolve............).

  Jodi and I accidentally agree that 'singularity is not particularly
positive'; Marcel Stoetzler in a new essay "Where Nothing is
Produced," in MUTE vol 2 #13  notes,  "....in the sense that
individuality is any individual's identity against his or her
identification (as Adorno would later put it in Negative
Dialectic)...." http://www.metamute.org/en/content/when_nothing_is_produced

Else: and here's  a dodgy ethical problem:  let's say we only may be
allowed to develop knowledges as  'positive' markers ,  differentials/
derivatives,  of 'identity'.  What then if the agon is unproductive?
(groan)  (Check out Marcel for more..)

Sometimes I feel my words resonate only as shouts and calls against
the walls of a city, a city inside which  politics and public violence
converge in bloody real time.  Yes I feel sometimes as if "identity"
may as well be some kind of mini celebrity concoction, subjectivity
cocktail, extra olives, xtra dry, no vermouth, no lies. Kafka's
Amerika blissed.

   "On Saturday 26 September, Abahlali baseMjondolo, the shack
dwellers movement, was attacked in the Kennedy Road settlement,
Durban, by an armed mob chanting ethnic slogans and backed, fully, by
the ANC. Kennedy Road, as Mute readers may know, is one of the poorest
shack settlements in Durban...."  http://www.abahlali.org

If here are no ontologically given 'basic political issues.'  then how
can I ever find an heuristic, a 'what is to be done' ? not even
empathy with the poor shack dwellers can follow from analyzing the
'individual' /flip, 'collective'  only as degrees of difference.  True/
false, fake/real ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCcurSAUzHY&feature=related
   ... and yet, and yet....... "I know you know I know I"......

Hey maybe just take a chill on the effort to brand 'identity politics'
as a species of repressive capitalist commodity.  (isn't this
rhetorically impossible if we were to accept the claim"  there are no
ontologically given 'basic political issues'.)  This seems like an
exhausted line of thought. I rather like how Sareeta puts it, in a
related thread yesterday, with her word 'container' .........

> In this respect, we can trace out the ways in which identity
> politics has
> emerged as a container for selfhood that may enable certain forms of
> political
> action..... it might be more useful to think about kinds
> of agency that can be marshaled by people in particular contexts.

And Jodi reflects, too,

> I guess my appeal is for organized solidarities rather than
> temporally singular experiences of commonality.  But, perhaps the
> opposition
> is less stark than I'm suggesting and the latter are a means of
> producing the former.

Yes, I think so too.

Jodi writes,