[iDC] Social Production and the Labor Theory of Value

Michael H Goldhaber michael at goldhaber.org
Thu Oct 29 21:37:53 UTC 2009

Christian, and everyone.

To begin I must say that as a grandchild and relative of Holocaust
victims I find your implied comparison of Facebook and Auschwitz to be
beyond distasteful. That it would occur to you to make such an extreme
and odious comparison suggests the underlying weakness of your argument.

Let me say a little first about  Marx's labor theory of value. He was
clearly referring to labor in making commodities in the industrial
age, where by "commodities" was understood objects that were
interchangeable and effectively identical with others of the same sort
made in other factories or factory-like settings, under the control of
other capitalists. Only in such circumstances does the phrase
"socially necessary labor time" have meaning. Here I take "socially
necessary" to refer to (a) the level of skills  reached by a
sufficiently large pool of workers at the moment and (b) the technical
capacities of available factory machinery, also at the moment.

Most astute capitalists today recognize that to produce pure
commodities is a bum's game, for in that case there is competition,
which in the (now relatively short) long run drives average profits to
zero. Thus they seek to resort to the police powers of the state to
give them monopolies in the form of intellectual property: patents,
trademarks, design patents, trade secrets, and copyright. As we know,
the increasing proportion of products that may be digitized (music,
movies, photos, book texts, journalism, and computer software of all
sorts, for a start )  would tend to zero value whenever they are not
protected in such fashion, since copying takes virtually no labor
time. (This is also true for , e.g., genetically modified crops and
other biological products. ) A majority of profits today come from
such products. Unless one chooses to extend the meaning of "socially
necessary" in ways probably never intended by Marx to encompass such
conditions, the labor theory of value is mostly inapplicable now.

But what if one does so extend the term? What them must be meant by
socially necessary? For an illuminating case, consider works of art by
well-known artists. The labor time to produce say a copy of Mondrian's
"Broadway Boogie-woogie" that would look authentic to the average
person interested in art would be very little, but to actually be
sellable as if it were the original would mean that "socially
necessary" would have to include fooling the art establishment, a
nearly impossible task in the case of such a well-known painting. Even
to produce, say, a supposedly newly discovered Pollock would entail
great difficulty, including supplying the work with a believable
provenance, as well as making  the dripping method used lead to just
the sort of droplets and curves and paint thicknesses to be found by
an expert to be Pollock-like. If you think this is how the theory of
value would work in such a case, those complexities  would explain why
such art works sell for such high prices (and presumably have high
value).

There is another way to think about the high value that seems to
adhere to certain works of art. It is because they, and usually the
artist as well, have gotten lots of attention. Should they lose that
attention over the course of time, the value would disappear. Only by
a great stretch does such value have to do with the labor theory.
Consider instead another kind of artist, say Bruce Springsteen.
Tickets to good seats at his concerts can sell for hundreds or even
thousands of dollars. A Springsteen impersonator might stage a concert
that would fool some people by lip synching to the recordings of the
Boss.
But what concert goer would knowingly and willingly pay the same high
prices to hear an unknown imitator lip synching?

Now the people who attend Springsteen concerts not only must pay a lot
for tickets, but have to wait in line both for the tickets, and to
attend the concert, as well as having to sit through the concert. By
your logic, Christian, they would be performing unpaid labor, much as
Facebook users supposedly are. Further, by having these large
audiences, Springsteen assures himself of even more attention, and
obtains new audiences. Even if he were to give away his recordings for
free over the Internet he would be obtaining unpaid labor from all who
listen, which would enrich him further.

The only problem is that by your math, Springsteen, just like
Facebook, would be extracting infinite surplus value, even if that
value were not realized by him or by anyone. I think that is just a
ridiculous and confusing way to  understand what is going on, either
in the case of Facebook or in the case of any net attention -getting
person, i.e. a star.

Let me now suggest a different way of  accounting for what takes place
when one "uses" Facebook. (Then I shall address the rather different
question of how Facebook makes or hopes to make money.) Simply put,
Facebook is a means for  paying and receiving attention and for
showing off the size of one's audience or possible audience. (By what
I call the "audience effect" the larger one's audience, the more
likely one is to attract attention from someone new.) It is possible
to set up a fan page and acquire up to thousands or even millions of
fans. Thus,  Facebook is an avenue for the extension of the attention
economy, in which for the most part, no money actually changes hands.

Now Facebook could have been begun as an open-source site created by
volunteers, or perhaps for the glory of it. But in actual fact it was
not. Instead, the founder sought venture capital to pay for the
servers, etc., and to satisfy the investors presumably had to come up
with a suitable "business model." That model, as is usually the case
these days with new Internet sites, eventually comes down to seeking
advertising money.  That is done not by selling an audience but by
selling  the chance to seek the attention of members of the audience,
in order to attempt to convince them to buy. When advertising is
successful, the cost of the advertising is included in the price, so
that Facebook participants who succumb to the wiles of advertisers in
fact pay the costs of the site (if Facebook makes money) except that
sometimes advertising is unsuccessful, in which case the unsuccessful
advertisers or their investors pay for the part of the costs of the
site. The participants who do not succumb to the advertisers are
simply getting a free service.

Obviously, if the Internet keeps expanding with new kinds of
offerings, taking up more and more of the world's attention,
eventually advertising will not do the trick of supporting it. Then
either sites will have to ask for money directly, as some (say
Wikipedia)  now do, or adopt the cooperative model Michel Bauwens
suggests or ask for volunteers (aka fans) to keep them going. I agree
with Michel that either of these latter would be clearly  post-
capitalist.

Best,
Michael