[iDC] Corporate Ideology in World of Warcraft

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at aliceadsl.fr
Sat Sep 12 01:59:19 UTC 2009

Scott Rettberg wrote:
> Play becomes a manifestation of our interpellation in
> the world of 24/7 real time labor/consumption (consumption having
> become an aspect of labor and labor an aspect of consumption).
> Sisyphus might have ultimately been convinced to pay a monthly fee for
> the pleasure of pushing that rock up the hill.

That used to be called alienation, no?

Is there a reason not to call it that anymore? I guess there may
well be - but I wonder if that reason still has anything to do
with wanting to cure what in oneself or in ourselves doesn't
work, to the point of wanting to simulate work in one's free time
and call it play?

best, Brian