[iDC] Introduction

Dorothy Kidd kiddd at usfca.edu
Thu Sep 24 15:46:25 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues:
Forgive me too for not introducing myself earlier. I first want to thank
everyone for your contributions as I find this list very stimulating,
and look forward to talking to some of you at the Digital Labour
Conference next month.

I have worked in alternative and social movement media since the early
1970s, (aboriginal radio/TV, community radio, and early indymedia), have
participated in the global networks of AMARC and OURMedia. My publishing
activity has been focused on documenting some of the more effective and
inventive uses of communications for social change. Most recent is a two
volume collection, co-edited with Clemencia Rodriguez and Laura Stein
called Making Our Media: Global Initiatives Toward a Democratic Public
Sphere, coming out from Hampton Press this month.

As an academic living in San Francisco, my major activity has been to
coordinate a series of conferences and public forums, including global
social justice networks (Digital Democracy, Spring 003);  labour
activists (Labor Tech 2003, 2006, 2008), teachers of media literacy
(Action Coalition for Media Education) and media activists (Bay Area
Alternative Media Network) and old and new media journalists (Remaking
the News, Spring 2009).

One of my current research projects has been the documentation and
analysis of some of the web-based alternative journalism projects; and
I'll talk about this more at the Digital Labour Conference.

thanks again,

Dorothy Kidd.
Associate Professor
Department of Media Studies