[iDC] The difference between privacy and anonymity

naxsmash naxsmash at mac.com
Tue Sep 29 20:03:41 UTC 2009

> Dear naxsmash,
> I find your opposition charming.
de nada
>  I can't speak for anytone else but I think of myself as a little
> more complicated than that--after I have studied philosophy,
> including Derrida and Wittgenstein, who might be relevant here

sure
> .  However, I think in some profound way you are right.  The world
> is a great mysterious other full of external objects in open sets.
> However, the sets are never stable and they are established in
> retrospect through constantly changing memories/new experiences and
> in dialog or "social reality."

this would be 'realism' I guess, in terms of its ancient (Greek)
understanding.  See Lucretius and the swerve (de rerum natura) .

I've been reading Levinas on alterity and transcendence these days .

> I am not sure how "universal"  "second wave feminism" ever was.  I
> was a grad student in Berkeley in the late sixties.  Women of all
> types including angry ones like me feverishly gathered  trying to be
> a part of what we knew was something very big.  I remember one
> meeting in a church that was packed to the gills; many of the women
> took notes in shorthand.  At that and further meetings, the
> exclusions grew before my eyes as more and more women were counted
> out of the determinations of what ultimately proved to a particular
> sect.   The shorthand notetakers were soon gone as the group got
> tinier.  The limitations of "second wave feminism" began for me in
> some of those very first meetings.

Naming to exclude.   Administration, bureaucracy, catalog, desirable,
undesirables.

> How does belief play into your opposition?   Does it matter whether
> or not we believe (in) a "universal"?

of course ethically it does, very much so.   See, for example Marge in
the closing of "Fargo"  "it's a beautiful day"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmoYpJIUWhY

>  I find that I live subjunctively; that is, I accept a life in a
> realm of objects that are not entirely "real" but rather that could
> be, might be, are contrary to fact, are hearsay, virtual, etc.

Sappho, as translated by Ann Carson, is good on this.
>  Those objects are also subject to the work of time. Then there are
> those bolts from the blue that turn everything I thought I knew
> completely around.  Does your opposition account for this instability?

It does not; it is a binary-- it deserves to be exploded or detourned
through critical thinking.  :-)

=c