[iDC] Google Buzz and the Surveilance Economy

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Mon Feb 15 16:14:02 UTC 2010

Thanks Christian for this post.

Interestingly enough, 5 years ago people weren't quite sure yet of
what's to come (see
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2005/pulpit_20051117_000873.html).

Attempting to rebuild the internet, as you suggested, seems like a
daunting, time consuming task. While we wait, I'd like to suggest some
links for practical measures every Mozilla user can take immediately:
limit exposure one ad at a time with http://adblockplus.org, then mess
with the search trail emanating from your IP with
http://mrl.nyu.edu/~dhowe/trackmenot/. Of course this won't really have
any real effect unless one stops using buzz, facebook, twitter, flickr,
etc. ... but it's a start. If anyone else has any suggestions - please
post here.