[iDC] Anyone using SL

Cynthia Beth Rubin cbrubin at risd.edu
Wed Jan 6 14:37:51 UTC 2010

HI All

At the recent DAC conference (Digital Art and Culture), Sneha
Veeragoudar Harrell and D. Fox Harrell gave a great paper on some of
the issues surrounding SL. (Exploring the Potential of Computational
Self-
Representations for Enabling Learning: Examining At-risk Youthsʼ
Development of  Mathematical/Computational Agency)

Although they are specifically addressing the issues of "at risk"
teenagers using Teen Second Life (TSL) the concerns that raised by
Sneha and Fox pertain to all of us.  The teens in their study were
uncomfortable taking on new identifies, especially when those
identifies fit certain stereotypes.

SL is a strange paradox in that it tries to mimic the real world in
many ways, but forces us to enter this world by giving up the one
thing that gives us grounding: our sense of ourselves.  While no doubt
many people welcome this, I am among those who find this bizarre and
less than appealing.  We do not all want avatars - we want other means
to break into new experience that SL almost offers, but not quite.
What I want from SL, or any VR experience, is a lack of reality in the
world itself, while keeping a sense of myself.  I want the opposite of
SL.  And I want an easy interface to be able to creative rather than
just experiential, which includes being able to easily import fanciful
colors, textures and 3D forms built in whatever software works for my
own creativity.

This is reminiscent of the history of so much software.  Developers
begin with a narrow focus - remember the early digital imaging
software when "PhotoMac" and "Photoshop" were supposedly only for
manipulating photographs, with great color control but no layers, no
easy interface for creativity.  All of that was left to "Pixel Paint"
and "Studio/8" , which had layers from the start, as well as opacity
changes (even in 8 bit) and all kinds of interesting tools to prompt
creative play.  Eventually the behemoth Adobe bought up or drowned out
every one else (but Painter), and the success of Adobe Photoshop is
that it promotes creativity and invention while still providing the
basic tools for those who just want to crop their photos.

I am guilty of not exploring the creativity within SL - and I do
understand that there are workarounds, but it is my understanding is
that constructing in SL is cumbersome.  I have other things to do
while I wait for a desktop VR interface that will fit into my ongoing
workflow.  And this includes one in which I can really share and
communicate with others - in whatever form they choose to present
themselves.

Cynthia Beth Rubin
http://CBRubin.net